Slow squash question

• 22 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Slow squash question
« on: July 16, 2015, 15:41 »
It's the squash that's slow not the question  :D
I grew some butternut squashes from seed and planted out in grow bags in a protected area under side covered driveway back in early May. They are compact variety 'butterbush F1'. Despite growing well to seedling stage, once planted they just sat, sulked and did not do much until a couple of weeks ago. Probably the colder weather did not help. Now they are growing well, but are only just developing flower heads (not in flower yet).

Question. Will these be too late to develop fruit to harvest? Packet says they should be ready for harvest Sept/Oct, but they don't seem on course for that unless they get a move on pretty quick!

Not grown squashes before, so any advice appreciated. Thanks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Slow squash question
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 15:46 »
Squash do that. Mine are always slow. They'll suddenly take off when they're ready.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 16:44 »
Thanks for the encouragement DD. Hopefully they will develop fruit some time soon.
How long does it generally take for the squash to fill out once it starts to form? I guess they're not quick like courgettes?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 16:50 »
They are not as fast as courgettes - not much is to be honest - but they do grow pretty fast.  I water mine at first to get them going, but DD is right, they suddenly take off and grow like triffids.

I chuck a few handfuls of pelleted chicken manure over them over few weeks and that's about it  :)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 16:50 »
Exactly how mine are behaving. I had a look this morning and they are just about yo take off with a vengeance.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 17:07 »
Last time I checked mine, they had a few baby fruits setting, but still lots more flowers coming. 

If you think you are running out of time, stop the ends of the vines, so the plant puts all its energy into the fruit it has, rather than make more and more.  The fruits need to ripen as much as possible if you want to store them, but I leave mine as long as I dare.  If need be, cover the fruit with fleece or nets tunnels to offer some extra weather protection.  I've harvested squash well into October before now, so plenty of time yet heygrow  :)

The end of season squash safari through the fading foliage is always something I look forward to.

gypsy

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 17:50 »
Mine seem to have only male flowers  >:(
Catherine

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 18:10 »
My squashes have only just taken off - they will have a massive growth spurt - Guinness makes a good feed for squashes and pumpkins if diluted  ;) :)

gypsy

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 18:39 »
My squashes have only just taken off - they will have a massive growth spurt - Guinness makes a good feed for squashes and pumpkins if diluted  ;) :)
What is in Guinness that is beneficial for squash plants?

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 19:12 »
Probably the alcohol.

Flowertot

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 19:56 »
I find butternuts are always the slowest for me. This year is no different. I have small squashes forming on other varieties but the butternuts haven't even flowered yet. Don't worry.

LotuSeed

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 20:13 »
Mine seem to have only male flowers  >:(

I have what I think is a pumpkin growing in my front garden. Leaves easily a foot across, nice, healthy looking plant. Problem is, so far it's been an all male party! I think I read somewhere that it's pretty common for male flowers to develop first, and the females appear once the plant is big enough to support the fruit development. It can be a frustrating wait!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 20:32 »
My experience is that butternuts are the slowest squashes to grow. Mine don't usually kick in till late August/early September and then it's a race to see if they get big before the frosts come! If you have green fruit at that point they DO ripen off the vine on a sunny windowsill. They won't have as good a flavour as if they had been ripened on the vine, but they are still pretty good.

Most of my early planted ones are kicking off now, My Black Futsus seem to have the opposite problem to the others, lots of female flowers and hardly any male ones.  :wacko:

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2015, 09:35 »
Thanks for all the replies. It has reassured me as I thought there was something wrong with mine.
That's what I love about this forum and good to know others experience the same issues.  :)

fatbelly

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2015, 21:52 »
My Crown Prince squash is on strike, it germinated fine & was planted out around the 10th June and has hardly budged since.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

xx
Butternut Squash are so slow to get going

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 06:42
by DD.
xx
Another Squash question(s)

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 14:17
by prakash_mib
xx
squash question

Started by owein on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 11:26
by owein
xx
Squash question

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 19:46
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.799 seconds with 38 queries.