The weather's looking blight tastic

• 26 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: The weather's looking blight tastic
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 11:51 »
Copper sulphate is not a natural product, it does occur in the natural environment and is not highly toxic.

Why do people post things that are not actually true? It is a natural product, it does occur in the naturally environment it is not HIGHLY toxic and has been used for years as a NATURAL fungicide! I will say it is not organic though if that makes any difference. However people will gleefully use washing up liquid, man made fertilisers, drive their cars to the plot to use their rotavators running on petrol and using lubricating oils, buy fresh fruits and veg from supermarkets, which are treated with shed loads of pesticides and fertilisers and think they are in fact doing less harm that using perhaps 100g per annum of an effective preventative treatment for blight! You are right though every little adds to the problem but you are looking in the wrong place for the problem look at industry and what farmers are using every year for the real problem not a band of gardeners trying to use something that is actually natural to solve the problem

Copper sulphate is one of those substances that some people view with suspicion Jambop.  Regardless of its status as 'natural' or 'organic' (and let's face it, those words can get manipulated to fit the ethos of whoever is using them) it is copper, it is toxic in high doses and can be dangerous to wildlife.  A lot of people are not comfortable with that and choose not to use it.

The original poster was after advice on blight and her spraying regime.  She herself acknowledged that bordeaux mixture split opinion and I think this proves the case.

Whether people choose to use washing-up liquid or drive their cars is a whole separate issue and we don't generally get into such discussions as it often ends up getting heated.

So back to posts on blight and each to their own re. bordeaux mixture please  :)

jambop

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 12:24 »
That is fair enough for me but why do some take the high ground when there are far greater issues than a few gardeners using a good product :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 12:49 »
That is fair enough for me but why do some take the high ground when there are far greater issues than a few gardeners using a good product :)

Because there are as many differing views of gardening as there are gardeners Jambop  ;) 

I know there are far greater threats to the environment than a bit of bordeaux mixture, but its something that people do have opinions on.  Splits the vote on here every time  :)

Salmo

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 22:21 »
Smiths Period alert notified in this area this morning.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 22:51 »
One small postscript about Bordeaux Mixture: it's been withdrawn from sale in the UK and 'remaining stocks must be used or disposed of by 30 Nov 2015.'

As reported by RHS here (page 2): https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/fungicides-for-home-gardeners

So as we shan't be allowed to use it after this November, I am assuming we won't be able to talk about it on here... ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 22:52 »
Only near misses recorded here, but I am starting to scan the spud leaves when I visit. TBH I could use the space they are occupying!

jambop

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 08:26 »
One small postscript about Bordeaux Mixture: it's been withdrawn from sale in the UK and 'remaining stocks must be used or disposed of by 30 Nov 2015.'

As reported by RHS here (page 2): https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/pdfs/fungicides-for-home-gardeners

So as we shan't be allowed to use it after this November, I am assuming we won't be able to talk about it on here... ;)

Any body can make Bordeaux mixture from readily available materials so it won't go away not down here anyway where it is regarded quite rightly as a very valuable gardening aid.

Salmo

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 10:56 »
Yes, anyone can make Bordeaux Mixture but it is not legal to use it in the UK after November 30th 2015. I think it is probably an EU regulation so it does apply in France - perhaps not in Bordeaux.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 12:36 »
Yes, anyone can make Bordeaux Mixture but it is not legal to use it in the UK after November 30th 2015. I think it is probably an EU regulation so it does apply in France - perhaps not in Bordeaux.

:lol: :lol: :lol:  My geography is not good - is Bordeaux in South West France ?

Twitch

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 18:29 »
Well my Tomatoes are now a nice shade of blue  :nowink:

Didn't bother with my spuds as they have been in 19 weeks allready, and had a little dig around and they are pretty big  :D

missmoneypenny

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 21:58 »
As the original poster, I just want to say it really is each to their own, i do not advocate spraying. That and pyrethrum occasionally are the only sprays I ever use. I just had recourse to BM one year because my crop had been decimated the previous one and it was heartbreaking. I discovered it works, and I am such a tomato obsessive that I think I can "read" the weather and know when blight is on its way. So I apply 2 coats a year. My toms are now a nice shade of turquoise!
I had read BM is being banned in the EU, with the exception of French winegrowers, who apparently have a dispensation. Unless Nigel Farage made that bit up!
I might just stock up though next time I'm in France.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2015, 22:02 »
Yes aunt Sally Bordeaux is in the South Western corner of France. Bordeaux mix was apparently accidentally discovered by a winemaker, who sprayed a copper mixture onto his vines because he was fed up of people eating his grapes and wanted to make them taste bitter. He then discovered those grapes did not get mildew (a big problem in that area that virtually wiped out all the vines about 100 years ago).

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Blight

Started by AndyRVTR on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2021, 18:11
by AnneB
sad
Blight?

Started by Mitsy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 14, 2009, 19:40
by azubah
clip
blight?

Started by strider84 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 08:23
by cadalot

Page created in 0.583 seconds with 38 queries.