Storage of seed potatoes

• 5 Replies

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
Storage of seed potatoes
« on: July 12, 2015, 15:36 »
Someone on here the other day (apologies - can't remember who)...said that 60 days need to elapse between harvest of potatoes and replanting any that you've saved.
What if I wanted to wait longer? For instance - potatoes that I'm lifting in Aug this year. If I keep a few back to plant next May - what's the best way to store them? And - when would I start to chit them?   :blush:
Carpe Diem

Gellideg

Re: Storage of seed potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 15:51 »
I keep "once grown" seed potatoes regularly.Let the selected potatoes(or sets) go green if you wish from daylight in a coolstorage shed and keep them protected from frost next winter.Place eyes up in eggboxes in February and watch them sprout short leafy sprouts.Do this by letting the sets have daylight.
By March you will have perfect new potato sets ready to go.

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 16:06 »
Sorry Gellideg - I'm a bit unclear. Do I keep them in the dark? I have one of those mini greenhouses - could I keep them in there? Then 'eggbox' them in Feb?  ??? 
Does this 'keep them in the dark' regime work for any potato? For example - I'm just about to put some late ones in that should be up in Oct - well before frosts in the sunny (?) South West. Could I keep some of those back - in the dark - until next year? Am I also right in thinking that late ones don't need chitting? (The soil being warm and all.)  :blush:

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 16:11 »
but      its not good to keep your own potatoes for sets    as im sure you will hear on here soon  sry

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 16:20 »
Ah, interesting, m1ckz. I must admit it all sounds a bit of a faff and much easier to go to garden centre - where I see everything that I MUST have and spend oodles!
Just can't wait to hear why it's not a good thing, though.   :unsure:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 16:20 »
Put them in the light first to let them go a bit green and go dormant then store in a cool, dark, airy frost-free place.

You don't have to chit any potatoes, it just helps get a quicker crop on early and second potatoes, and if you've got them anyway you might as well be chitting them. I start mine as soon as they're delivered - but I should think that your saved ones will be chitting by then anyway - no matter where you've stored them  ;)

It's best to save your own for only a year, after that viruses are much more likely, and IMO it's not worth taking the risk of replanting them again.

xx
Storage of seed potatoes

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 22:07
by Kristen
xx
Holes in potatoes and storage

Started by BabyStar on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 12:23
by arugula
xx
potato seed storage

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 01, 2010, 17:58
by shokkyy
xx
Seed potato storage

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2023, 18:41
by brownp

Page created in 1.938 seconds with 38 queries.