How to grow lemon grass

• 3 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
How to grow lemon grass
« on: July 10, 2015, 09:22 »
Went to Thornbridge Hall yesterday - only open Thursdays, and only the extensive and beautiful gardens (its rather interesting owners and their friends are in permanent residence in the hall.)

Pleasantly surprised to find lots of plants in their nursery at very reasonable prices, including a lemon grass plant which would have been rude not to buy at £1.50! (If you're thinking of going the vast majority of plants are flowering plants by the way.)

What to do with it? The limited research I've done so far varies from suggesting it can't be grown outside in the UK to 'definitely can', although it certainly isn't winter hardy.

Any tips from anyone who has actually grown (and overwintered) it please?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

Re: How to grow lemon grass
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:53 »
I've grown it and it's easy.  It can get tangled up and a bit messy so grow it out of strong winds.  Mine looked a bit like dead grass at times but the stems at the base were fine

the seeds were given to me by a pal and looked quite manky. Maybe that's how they just look but they germinated well. I neglected them a bit but was pleased with the results

Maybe you get stronger flavoured stems in more tropical climates but I was quite pleased for my first attempt

My husband took me to the NGS day at Thornbridge but on the wrong day!  :nowink:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:55 by compostqueen »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 13:51 »
I've grown it in a pot, but lost it over winter in the unheated greenhouse.  It was one of the cold winters a few years back when we had a fair bit of snow and very cold nights. 

It is an untidy plant and you don't get stems as thick,  or as compostqueen says, as strong tasting as the ones you can buy in the supermarket, but the flavour is still good  :)

Muls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 20:10 »
I grow mine in an unheated greenhouse 12 months of the year.

xx
Lemon Grass

Started by caroline93 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 13:50
by caroline93
xx
lemon grass

Started by aqua on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 20:12
by aqua
xx
lemon grass ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 16:28
by agapanthus
xx
Lemon Aji

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2017, 21:18
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.813 seconds with 38 queries.