Tender crops in Cumbria / Carlisle area

• 8 Replies

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
    • http://brownsterfarm.blogspot.com
Tender crops in Cumbria / Carlisle area
« on: July 05, 2015, 10:35 »
Hi All,
We are looking to relocate soon from the sunny south and am seeking advice on any differences in what I might be able to grow if we move up to Cumbria sort of level with Carlisle?

I can see from looking around that the growing season is shorter but does it affect what you can grow?
I'm particularly interested in knowing if I'd still be able to grow tomatoes outside and runner beans.

I'd expect to get a greenhouse / poly tunnel and in Kent I grow some aubergines, lots of chilli's, cucumbers and tomatoes within, would this still be possible in the shorter season do you think?

Cheers,
Wayne.
Cheers,

Wayne.

Goosegirl

Re: Tender crops in Cumbria / Carlisle area
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 13:27 »
Hi KL. I'm just a bit south-west of you and have had no problems with outside crops like runner beans or toms in the GH. You may find you have to sow a little bit later but then so do we all if the weather is bad down south and better up here. Good luck!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Christine

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 15:19 »
I'm just over the hill from Carlisle in Northumberland. We grow runner beans outdoors (and all sorts of other beans). Depends on the season for outdoor tomatoes.

No problems with the things that you grow in the greenhouse/poly tunnel. I know of a number of poly tunnels full of the things you grow.

Come on up - it's not half as bad as the news would have you believe "oop north"

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 16:40 »
That is good news, thanks for the replies, we shall be up in the coming months having a good look around :-)

Regards,
Wayne.

Alifink

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 18:40 »
You won't go short of water up here

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 20:04 »
We did look at the rainfall charts for Cumbria and found you have a good slice of the rainfall pie :-)

It must help in some ways though, any crops you find that really excel?

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 23:19 »
I live on the Solway coast to the west of Carlisle and have grown just about everything with no problems. Most of my toms and cucumbers are grown in a big greenhouse but I do grow an outside crop because I always sow too many and can't fit them all in under glass. Aubergines have always been a problem for me and unless we get an exceptional summer they can be very hit and miss but peppers thrive. The growing season might be a few weeks shorter but it's not as grim up here as some people seem to think.

ptarmigan

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 10:53 »
I'm in the same kind of area.  A big problem for us is how windy the site is. 

My allotment neighbour moved up from Devon and it's been a bit of a shock for him.  More rain, cooler nights, having to put more protection out for longer.  And less sunshine. 

Having said that he has to water less. 

A polytunnel or something similar makes a huge difference (I'm still saving up for one). 

kentishlad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 12:14 »
I live on the Solway coast to the west of Carlisle and have grown just about everything with no problems. Most of my toms and cucumbers are grown in a big greenhouse but I do grow an outside crop because I always sow too many and can't fit them all in under glass. Aubergines have always been a problem for me and unless we get an exceptional summer they can be very hit and miss but peppers thrive. The growing season might be a few weeks shorter but it's not as grim up here as some people seem to think.
We struggle with Aubergines in our unheated greenhouse both in the soil and in pot's (6" approx) but a friend of ours uses huge pots and this seems to make a difference. They also have a heated conservatory and get the seeds growing earlier because they are happier in there. We on the other hand have only a fairly coldish house despite getting starting them off in a heated propagator.
I'm in the same kind of area.  A big problem for us is how windy the site is. 
My allotment neighbour moved up from Devon and it's been a bit of a shock for him.  More rain, cooler nights, having to put more protection out for longer.  And less sunshine. 
It's amazing how much the wind affects the health/growth of plants something we have learnt over time. It's incredibly windy here on the peninsular where we live, quite frankly I'm surprised our runner beans survive sometimes with the wind we get! You should see the bracing supports I have running everywhere :-)

xx
West Cumbria calling!!

Started by Humbledoor on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 28, 2010, 22:17
by mumofstig
xx
Growing veg in North Cumbria

Started by Knoblauch on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 12:50
by Knoblauch
xx
Tender seedlings 9oc

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2022, 22:29
by Subversive_plot
xx
How cold before I should do something about tender stuff?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2010, 14:12
by aelf

Page created in 0.432 seconds with 36 queries.