Strawberry wars

• 4 Replies

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
Strawberry wars
« on: June 29, 2015, 15:09 »
I have slug pelleted, I have netted, to date on my new strawberry bed Rosiecider 1 strawberry some pesky critter 5 strawberries, this is not gardening it's pest controlling ..... me thinks I may have a mouse and I am too big a softie for traps.

Just cannot take much more !! pigeons, slugs, cats, caterpillars now mice... AArgh ....  :wacko:
:D I garden therefore I am

TimGuyUK

Re: Strawberry wars
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 15:34 »
I have slug pelleted, I have netted, to date on my new strawberry bed Rosiecider 1 strawberry some pesky critter 5 strawberries, this is not gardening it's pest controlling ..... me thinks I may have a mouse and I am too big a softie for traps.

Just cannot take much more !! pigeons, slugs, cats, caterpillars now mice... AArgh ....  :wacko:

pigeons seam to be my neighbours enemy however I didn't cut my strawberrys back last year and appear to be getting good results with them hidden under the top cover.

I am still loosing some though and I think youd could be right it could be Mice. My runners never came up from seeds sown directly into the sow this year.

I suppose the old garlic spray isn't applicable to strawberry's is it. Wed get garlic strawberry's?

I had some human traps at home to catch some mice who I was happy to have living with me till they started eating everything. I caught on but didn't get back to house for a day or so. Keep it out to the 'set free' area and out plopped a suffocated mouse. I was in morning for months.

jaydig

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 20:08 »
My strawberries are the same this year. I put down slug pellets, then straw, then covered with netting. So far, for every good strawberry I pick I have to throw about six away that have either been nibbled, or the underneath has been 'grazed', making a slimy mess. It's really frustrating because they look gorgeous - huge, shiny, red, ripe fruits, and then when they are picked they are horrible underneath.  oh, well, Mrs blackbird and her brood are happy with all the fruit I have to throw away!

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:12 »

pigeons seam to be my neighbours enemy however I didn't cut my strawberrys back last year and appear to be getting good results with them hidden under the top cover.

I am still loosing some though and I think youd could be right it could be Mice. My runners never came up from seeds sown directly into the sow this year.

I suppose the old garlic spray isn't applicable to strawberry's is it. Wed get garlic strawberry's?

I had some human traps at home to catch some mice who I was happy to have living with me till they started eating everything. I caught on but didn't get back to house for a day or so. Keep it out to the 'set free' area and out plopped a suffocated mouse. I was in morning for months.
Mice had my dwarf french beans too started off in the green house nurtured for nearly 4 weeks before I realised there were no beans in the compost any more, garlic strawberries think I will pass on that, another strawberry gone this morning little * must be checking every night !! think I will get a cat garden ornament

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 10:15 »
My strawberries are the same this year. I put down slug pellets, then straw, then covered with netting. So far, for every good strawberry I pick I have to throw about six away that have either been nibbled, or the underneath has been 'grazed', making a slimy mess. It's really frustrating because they look gorgeous - huge, shiny, red, ripe fruits, and then when they are picked they are horrible underneath.  oh, well, Mrs blackbird and her brood are happy with all the fruit I have to throw away!

Another lost this morning mice 6 me 1 there must be something out there humane mouse traps ?

xx
Pea wars

Started by pigguns on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 11, 2015, 08:45
by beesrus
xx
alotment wars bbc

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2013, 19:14
by arugula
xx
Allotment wars Episode 3: Return of the thief

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2009, 06:00
by Gwiz
xx
Strawberry bed - Strawberry sawfly

Started by R0b1et on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 13:12
by R0b1et

Page created in 0.635 seconds with 36 queries.