Is no one growing cucumbers this year then?

• 27 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Is no one growing cucumbers this year then?
« on: June 26, 2015, 08:42 »
Of course some of you must be, but in previous years there have always been several posts on this board about their suicidal tendencies and how they are looking sick at best, and dead at worst!  ::)

Started my outdoor Marketmore and indoor Picolo late this year (cunning plan - less time to die  :unsure:) and they are all in position now in their ex- chicken poo containers -  Marketmores will be trained up a piece of plastic trellis, the Picolo along wires in the GH.

All look healthy enough at the moment, although barely past first true leaf stage (my neighbour must have planted hers out in her GH some time in March and has already picked her first cuke - I hate her!!  :tongue2:  :tongue2:)

How are yours doing?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AnneB

Re: Is no one growing cucumbers this year then?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 08:46 »
My outdoor Paris Gherkin is looking terminal, due to slug damage.  In the polytunnel, my Early Fortune is now starting to race away.   It did very well for me last year too. Very productive.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 08:51 »
My marketmore  sat for weeks in limbo and eventually succumbed to the cold nights.  A second set bought from our plant scheme might be okay if the weather warms at night, but ....
Anne

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 08:52 »
The 3 Divas growing in the polycarb greenhouse are doing well,  and have a few cukes swelling  :)

The outdoor pickling cukes don't look quite as happy, though, so not expecting much from them  :(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 08:55 »
Cucini have given us more than we can eat so far, and after a good feed are now swelling more fruits (in greenhouse at home)

Gherkins have done well at home and now I have planted two of the four plants in the mini-tunnel at the plot

Carmen committed suicide on re-potting to final pots. No idea what prompted that  :( :(
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

cadalot

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 09:13 »
Small and a few flowers and cucumbers forming now, only problem is they aren't really tall enough yet

Picture is just after they went outdoors, and they are still not much taller
2015-06-14 Cucumber Mulch.jpg
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:14 by cadalot »

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 09:29 »
i started one a bit early in about april which has got one cuc on, but this is looking a little sad. this happens most years for me, i can only guess they suffer from lack of light or heat early on or they exhaust themselves too early.

the later ones are now starting get a move on, nice and lush.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 09:47 »
My indoor 'Mini Munch' are doing well. 

Harvested 5 fruit this week - they are mini and one fruit is enough for 2 salad portions or two sandwiches.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 09:56 »
I have got a couple out on the plot and they are doing OK.  I also have more plants at home that are due to be planted out tomorrow.  I started late for everything this year and the cukes were last in line.

Given the weather, I think that was the best strategy for outdoor plants.  They are growing away well now :)

lettice

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 09:57 »
Growing my usual Burpless in my greenhouse.
They did seem to start off very slow this year, but in the last week or so they have grown fast and the tendrils are reaching out well now.
Checked out last years pics and they are now the same size.
Always start picking them from mid July, so bang on schedule now. Im sure they will love the next week of hot weather :)
2015-06-26 09.52.46.jpg
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 09:58 by lettice »

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 09:59 »
I was, but they've all gone to the great salad bowl in the sky.

I've sown a few direct to repalce them but the birds have had most of those. All hope rests on one lone seedling.
Never stop learning

crh75

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 11:21 »
Mine are doing well.  All six seeds sown germinated.  Gave one away and you can just make out the five at the back of the greenhouse in the picture, all full of flowers and fruits starting to develop.  They are Emilie, an all female type with small fruits.
WP_20150626_001[1].jpg

Springlands

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 11:36 »
My mini-munch all look healthy enough - just not growing very fast because of the rubbish weather. They have improved since we have had a few warmer days.  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 12:32 »
So far I have lost one!!!!!  Suicidal. Yes I think they are. They will curl up and die at the least provocation which is why you need to hedge your bets and grow more than one variety and do a couple extra. Cucino are like buying money but they're cracking plants and stay small. When you have a small greenhouse you can't afford to have rampant foliage so the Cucino fits the bill. Produces loads of mini cues which are tasty and great once chilled for a bit

I'm doing some cornichons too and they've all survived so far.  They have a creamy, almost avocado like texture. Love em

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 14:28 »
First two cucs both transferred to the greenhouse in large pots one instantly decided to end it all and duly did on the first night, the other has 2 cucs on it.     The next 2 looking good but I won't hold my breath.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

xx
cucumbers-shall I bother this year

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 13:53
by Herb
xx
Growing cucumbers

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2009, 20:19
by lovemyveg
xx
Growing cucumbers

Started by belto on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 16, 2007, 12:39
by jackiestagg
clip
NEW TO GROWING CUCUMBERS

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 07:39
by cadalot

Page created in 0.691 seconds with 38 queries.