Runner bean black fly 😕

• 21 Replies

Benny130

• Experienced Member
Runner bean black fly 😕
« on: June 24, 2015, 21:09 »

By far my favourite veg are runners and they have been struggling from day one. Just not doing anything. Now I have noticed an infestation of  Blackfly. I'm so annoyed!!

Anything I can do to save. I have some more plants a few cm high at the moment. Could I replace this late with them being so tiny? Could the others be saved??

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Runner bean black fly 😕
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 21:15 »
They seem to be everywhere this year!
Either squash them with your fingers or spray with a little washing up liquid diluted  in water.

You'll have to keep doing it though.

Bing

• Experienced Member
Re: Runner bean black fly
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 23:09 »
they are everywhere this year!

they are even on weeds leaves

a year of blackfly!

a consequence of warm winter maybe
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 23:11 by Bing »
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

Under The Hill

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 23:18 »
someone on my allotment site used garlic with washing up liquid (in a spray) on her broad beans.  She also used a shop bought organic spray on a different section of beans.  She found that the garlic & washing up liquid spray worked best.  I have just gone down and sprayed my broad beans - so we shall see.  Also I am sure it is not too late to even plant some more runner beans.  I read in one of my books that a July sowing was fine and you would get beans into October.  I was planning on sowing some in the next week.  :)

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 06:15 »
On the Hort channel on YouTube Shaun used 50:50 washing up liquid and vinegar - I have never heard of that combination before. I'm just hoping my poached egg plants attract an army of ladybirds, but I'm guessing they have lots to eat this year.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 08:30 »
Nasturtiums will attract blackflys. although they are not in flower yet, they will become a mecca for the wee nasties in a few weeks.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

LottyLouis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 09:03 »
Interesting point AR. If nasturtiums attract blackfly - does this mean that the beasts will go to the nasturtiums and leave other stuff alone (!) - or are we just attracting the blackfly to our crops by having nasturtiums close by?   :wub:
Carpe Diem

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 09:31 »
There is nothing more confusing than trying to research which companion planting suggestions work, and why - I suppose it's partly due to the fact that there is no money to be made from it, so there has been very little proper research.

By growing nasturtiums you are providing a perfect breeding ground for blackfly so you will have thousands more as a result - OK they are probably more attractive to blackfly than beans, but sufficiently so to ensure your beans remain pest free? I'd take some convincing.

French Marigolds are one of the few companion plants whose deterrent effect can be scientifically proven - I grow them in my GH and have never seen any whitefly in there, which is as close to proof as I'm likely to get.

It is claimed by some that they also deter aphids, but also to not grow them alongside beans ::), although I haven't yet found an actual explanation for that.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lettice

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 10:35 »
French Marigolds are one of the few companion plants whose deterrent effect can be scientifically proven - I grow them in my GH and have never seen any whitefly in there, which is as close to proof as I'm likely to get.

It is claimed by some that they also deter aphids, but also to not grow them alongside beans ::), although I haven't yet found an actual explanation for that.

Never knew this about Marigolds.
I grow lots of these close to my beans (the bees love them), have a stage under my weather rain collector and its always full of marigolds. Easy plant to reseed. Rarely get blackfly on my braod beans and have not seen any this year. Maybe another trick of the many to deter them.
Have seen many on nasturtiums over the years, they do seem to attract blackfly, would avoid them in the garden.
Never ever seen blackfly on any of my runner beans in decades of growing them, but small deposits over the years on my broad beans and in one area they grow side by side.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:43 by lettice »

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 16:31 »
I have had black fly on my broad beans and they have also infested some nearby weeds.
Sprayed broad beans and removed weeds.
Hopefully they won't go anywhere else!! 😱😱😱😱😱
Keep digging

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 20:35 »
On the Hort channel on YouTube Shaun used 50:50 washing up liquid and vinegar - I have never heard of that combination before. I'm just hoping my poached egg plants attract an army of ladybirds, but I'm guessing they have lots to eat this year.

I thought that Sean used that mixture to get rid of ants, not blackfly. Not sure that vinegar,  (acetic acid) would be good for the plants.

cadalot

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 07:02 »

I thought that Sean used that mixture to get rid of ants, not blackfly. Not sure that vinegar,  (acetic acid) would be good for the plants.

I will have to try and find that video and watch again, just done a Google search and have found 4 Parts Vinegar 1 part washing up liquid and 1 part salt makes a weed killer  :nowink: so perhaps not good for the beans and perhaps he was talking about ants.

lettice

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 08:51 »
Really would not risk putting any vinegar on my veg plants. Have made mixes with vinegar for weed killer and it works well.

Looks like the vinegar 50:50 mix is for ants, that Sean video is here;

ZXFG-qRV6U8
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:52 by lettice »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 08:58 »
It is indeed the year of the blackfly, and squashing or squirting them seems a daily job.

There don't seem to be quite as many ladybirds as usual, just a few gorging themselves. Anyone else found this?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 09:06 »
Nope - went on an aphid-spotting safari in my garden yesterday and only found one small cluster of blackfly on the campanula (a favourite every year but not many so far this year.)

Spotted one ladybird - it looked a bit sad (and thin!)

xx
runner bean - black bugs

Started by blue_cortina on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 17:02
by blue_cortina
xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
French bean & Runner bean timing advice..

Started by jsgreen89 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 22:18
by Ice
xx
Black bean fly.

Started by Rozzer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2010, 21:34
by Rozzer

Page created in 0.438 seconds with 39 queries.