lady chrystl poor tasting

• 5 Replies

lettice

lady chrystl poor tasting
« on: June 23, 2015, 09:12 »
One of the allotment holders near me gave me 1lb of lady chrystl.
He has grown potatoes for years and like me loves pentland javelin as a first early.
He was very disappointed in the taste of the lady chrystl and so was I.
They were quite bland, not what I expect for a first early.
Is this typical of these?
I gave him 1lb of the load of pentland Javelin I dug up last weekend and he loved them.
Not sure if its a taste thing that you get used to, as I grew Aaron pilot last year and found them quite flavourless.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: lady chrystl poor tasting
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 09:16 »
Lady Chrystl tastes lovely here - but I get a better yield from PJs.

I suppose it depends on the local soil..

Flowertot

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 09:37 »
I think MoS is right about the soil affecting the taste. I have grown Lady Christl for the first time this year too and I am delighted with them and my kids think they are really delicious. We'll definitely grow them again. However I'm also growing Sharpe's Express for the first time and we find them bland tasting.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 09:57 »
I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that Jersey Royals (International Kidney when grown elsewhere) have lost most of their distinctive flavour since the practice of fertilising with seaweed was largely discontinued.

I have been a bit disappointed with some of the highly rated early varieties, including Lady Christl, not only when it comes to flavour but also texture too sometimes. Don't think growing in poor, sandy soil does anything for the flavour despite my best efforts, and Sheffield is a very long way away from the nearest beach!

Still love growing new potatoes though, and plenty of mint and butter certainly helps.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 10:00 »
I don't think I'm the only one who thinks that Jersey Royals (International Kidney when grown elsewhere) have lost most of their distinctive flavour since the practice of fertilising with seaweed was largely discontinued.

I have been a bit disappointed with some of the highly rated early varieties, including Lady Christl, not only when it comes to flavour but also texture too sometimes. Don't think growing in poor, sandy soil does anything for the flavour despite my best efforts, and Sheffield is a very long way away from the nearest beach!

Still love growing new potatoes though, and plenty of mint and butter certainly helps.  :)
I didn't have a good experience when I grew Lady Christl too, the yield wasn't good and flavour average.  Grew Sharpe's Express for the first time last year and thought they were just wonderful.  I do think soil makes a real difference.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 11:10 »
Last year we grew PJ and Lady Christl and the LC outperformed the PJ in both yield and flavour, so it must be down to local soil conditions (and personal taste preferences).

xx
What's the best tasting beetroot

Started by allotment-bill on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2016, 22:51
by Flowertot
xx
Best tasting sweetcorn

Started by realfood on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 02, 2011, 19:37
by realfood
xx
Best tasting Blackberries?

Started by GrowinGrowinGone on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 28, 2013, 17:41
by compostqueen
xx
bad tasting cabbages

Started by tobybeacon on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2006, 16:23
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 38 queries.