Advice for growing tasty tomatoes

• 41 Replies

Goosegirl

Advice for growing tasty tomatoes
« on: June 18, 2015, 13:04 »
OK - having grown toms in my un-heated greenhouse in the past both in bottomless pots and in the actual bed, I lost the will to live because they didn't have any real taste and my OH preferred shop-bought ones. I fed them with a tomato fertiliser and don't think I over-watered them. I wasn't going to bother anymore but got a freebie from D.T.Browns (lost the packet so can't remember its name) and given a packet of Russian Black tom seeds from a friend. Currently I have four strong plants (two of each variety). I'm going to plant one of each variety in 10" pots using Miracle-Gro compost with feed and water-retention granules. The other two I'm going to plant directly in the GH bed with BFB in the hole, water them in with dilute Miracle-Gro general feed and put a few chicken manure pellets on the soil surface. Any thoughts on this and what else would you do?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice for growing tasty tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 13:45 »
I think it's the chemical tomato feeds that dilute the taste.

The best ones I've ever grown were just planted in soil with sheep manure dug in before they were planted, with very little watering once the plants had taken.

Chicken manure is very high nitrogen, which may give you more leaves than fruit.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 14:02 »
my OH preferred shop-bought ones.

:ohmy: Get another OH   :nowink:

What do you want from a tomato? Many of the new varieties have far too much sugar and that taints the acidic tomato twang I like.  You just need to find the right variety.

Beekissed

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 14:45 »
Old horse manure and mulched well so you don't have to water all the time.  Sweetest tomatoes I've ever tasted came from growing in horse manure.   :)  My tomatoes are currently growing in old horse manure as well. 

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 14:55 »
OK - having grown toms in my un-heated greenhouse in the past both in bottomless pots and in the actual bed, I lost the will to live because they didn't have any real taste and my OH preferred shop-bought ones.

Perhaps your OH simply doesn't really like tomatoes, so the less taste the better!  :unsure:

Variety is clearly the biggest single factor when it comes to taste - how much you can add or take away from that by varying the cultivation techniques I'm not sure (I can't grow in border soil because my GH has a solid concrete floor, and my experience of growing the same varieties indoors and outdoors for comparison purposes is very limited.)

My tomato feed contains seaweed extract - whether that's just a trendy marketing ploy rather than a real benefit to flavour (or anything else) is impossible to tell.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

LotuSeed

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 15:10 »
Could it just be the variety? I grow mine from seed because I don't like the taste of the newer hybrids that are for sale at most nurseries. Not sure about the feed, I grow mine in the ground with plenty of well rotted horse manure. I don't feed them and I rarely water them.  ???
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 15:35 »
Actually I felt the same way as your OH about last years tomatoes.

So this year I have the same tomatoes as last year and  variety of others including blooming butcher.

I bought some basic topsoil to plant them in pots instead of the multi purpose I usually use, or I have found space in the flower beds.

I have spritzed them with an aspirin spray, and wait until the plants show visible signs of wilting before I water them.

And I have fed them with nothing more than dilute molasses.

I have left several that I have done nothing more than water as test cases.

And we will see what happens this year.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 17:07 »
My main tips for better taste are
1) Leave on the plants to ripen.
2) Dont Put Tomatoes in the Fridge.

Saying that, i also grow in mixture of well rotted hos muck and Jacks Magic, in buckets.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

Headgardener22

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 17:42 »
Agree with AR, let them ripen on the plant but this could mean waiting until mid/late October. My favourite for flavour for the last few years has been Summer Cider which is an apricot coloured beefsteak but it doesn't ripen in my polytunnel until mid October at the earliest and I've picked fruit in the past in mid November. They're not ripe until they're soft to the touch.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 18:09 »
That aside, many fantastic tasty tomatoes are sold in markets in Italy/Greece/Spain/France with green shoulders.
Personally I grow Black Cherry and this always tastes best before it actually looks ripe  :)

So fully ripe isn't always best - you have to taste them and pick when you think is best - for you!

oldgrunge

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 20:22 »
Variety is the main factor regarding flavour. I grow in mp compost, in pots, in the greenhouse, minimal watering, and Chempak tomato food.
Personally, I think there is no difference between chemical and organic feed. When a plant absorbs the food it is broken down into chemicals anyway. It's just that we feel using natural feeds is more wholesome.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 20:31 »
Strictly speaking I am down to 2 varieties! gardeners delight for salads and Roma for sauces and cooking ! However I have added a few San Marzano as a trial this year :)
I cook therefore I grow

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 20:51 »
Paraphrasing Maggie Thatcher:  :unsure:

"Variety Variety Variety"

That's my experience anyhow.
 Same growing medium for all and aftercare  :nowink: - Gardeners Delight pretty tasteless, ditto Moneymaker - but Golden Sunrise absolutely fabulous. This year I've got about 10 varieties growing - and whilst I can't fit all in my GH I'm trying to treat those in and those out to the same general care...

Pip pip,
Balders

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 21:22 »
I can't understand anyone preferring supermarket tomatoes.  When I can't use my own, I buy from our local farm shop.  don't know where they come from, but much better than supermarket ones.

Saying that, I much prefer my own.  I don't think I've ever had a bad flavoured tomato yet.  I grow now just in my two greenhouses since my poly came off the tunnel.  I dig in well rotted turkey poo, and occasionally water with dilute comfrey tea, or nettle tea.

I never buy commercial feed as I don't ever feel the need to.

I also agree with the not putting them in the fridge.  Mine sit in a dish in the kitchen windowsill, and if there are flies around cover with a food cover to keep the little blighters off!  :)

Perhaps your OH doesn't have normal taste buds?   ;) ;)

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 21:29 »
I'm loving the James Wong book that's all about veg flavour and top tips- ' Grow for flavour'  I got it from the library but ordered one from Amazon today for 6.99.  It says stick in soil, use a molasses feed and salt water!  Low nitrogen is needed and commercial feeds boost yield by pumping them with water  :wacko:  Also cool and light is best (ie not greenhouses)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 21:30 by pigguns »

xx
My tomatoes aren't tasty!

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post July 03, 2008, 22:47
by sclarke624
xx
Growing Tomatoes

Started by gtdevon on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2016, 10:24
by mumofstig
xx
Growing Tomatoes

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2020, 21:01
by Growster...
xx
Growing tomatoes outside

Started by Christine on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 18:16
by Yorkie

Page created in 1.1 seconds with 38 queries.