poorley eye

• 4 Replies

treecol

poorley eye
« on: June 13, 2015, 19:02 »
Got my 8 new girls home today - all warrens @ 17wks. The largest one who is laying juding by the size of her comb, is keeping one eye shut. She will open it to look around, I've examined it & the colour is the same as the other one, no sign of injury, no discharge.
I wonder if it perhaps had a knock or scrape when we were putting yht hens in thwir transport crates? Is there anything I should treat it with or just see how it goes?
PS: sorry to kep posting but I'm so excited!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: poorley eye
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 07:42 »
Well 8 new girlies is pretty exciting, so you post away   :D

If there is no obvious sign of injury or discharge to the one with the eye shut, I would just monitor her for a few days.  It could well be a scrape, or a peck in the eye during transport.

If it carries on or you think the eye is looking worse, then I would think about a vet visit.  Eyes can deteriorate quickly, so I would say check her morning and evening just to be safe :)

grinling

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 20:23 »
check all the hens over. Check eyes, nostrils, breathing clearly, check under  wings for temperature being the same. Check over for lice.
How do you know their age?

treecol

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 22:42 »
Hi again Grinling! Her eye is almost normal today , I think it must have had a scrape or bump during transportation or when loading them into crates. We bought them from a petting farm, lots of vaccinations & lovely tame healthy birds. We bought from this supplier last time & when 1 bird fell sick 2 weeks after purchase, they took her back (pneumonia apparently) & gave me 2 replacements.
Anyway, they told me their age as they reared them. Only 1 is laying so far.

grinling

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 18:54 »
Glad to hear she is on the mend

xx
Tinsel has a poorley eye help!!

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 22:28
by Foxy
xx
poorley orpington

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2012, 19:40
by yacks

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 38 queries.