sun scald

• 4 Replies

Anton

sun scald
« on: June 07, 2015, 23:52 »
Fellow Gardeners,

This is the first time I have this problem. I  normally buy tomato plants on the local market, which I plant in the allotment a few days later.
This time I received some plugs throught the post. They started to grow quite nicely in pots up in the attic so I decided it was time to acclimatize them as they weather had improved.
Their first day outside I noticed palish blotches, so the second day I kept them a bit in the shade. I have been doing these for a few days now but the palish blotches are getting worse. I browsed a bit on the Internet and I now realise I should have started off with exposing them to very short period outdoor and gradually increasing the time.
Have I cause them irreparable damage? Is there anything I can do to remedy the situation? Help please?

Anton

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: sun scald
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 01:32 »
I get this problem every year because I start my plants at home and my house is surrounded by trees so  I can't give them enough sun before they go on to the plot. It also doesn't help that the uk goes straight from cloudy rubbish weather to strong sun.

Those sunscolded leaves will probably die off but the new growth is nice and green I find. Your plants will be fine. Any leaves that look like they are done for I just prune out. Not much you can do about the leaves that are already affected.

Anton

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:09 »
Thanks a lot for your answer.  By the way, what do you use for pruning, scissor, knife or snap things off?

Anton

crh75

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 16:25 »
It's best to snap the leaves.

Eightball

• Experienced Member
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 19:05 »
I use a sharp pair of secateurs as they give a nice clean cut. Snapping stuff often leaves a wound that is more likely to get infected.

Page created in 0.599 seconds with 35 queries.