Unhappy plum tree

• 5 Replies

maddave

• Experienced Member
Unhappy plum tree
« on: June 03, 2015, 13:24 »
My plot has an established plum tree growing on it. I have only had the plot since last year, during which time, the tree put out lots of fruits but they quickly seemed to dry out and turn to sugary, sticky, sappy lumps.

This year, the tree is looking very unhappy with wilting leaves and some turning brown - although lots of fruit is growing!  The tree has two trunks to it which grow from a split at the base. One main trunk has lots of leaves, where as the secondary trunk is bare of all leaf growth, but does seem to have some new shoots coming off it.  The tree does have lots of fruit coming, but it on the whole, the tree looks like it on it's last legs. I've attached some pictures, but I dont think they show how sad it looks!

Can anyone spot anything wrong with the tree and is there anything I can do to revive it?  Should I leav it since it seems to be fruiting ok?

IMG_20150530_145708.jpg
IMG_20150530_145716.jpg
IMG_20150530_145726.jpg
IMG_20150530_145800.jpg
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 13:36 by maddave »

BabbyAnn

Re: Unhappy plum tree
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 13:59 »
The tree has two trunks to it which grow from a split at the base. One main trunk has lots of leaves, where as the secondary trunk is bare of all leaf growth, but does seem to have some new shoots coming off it

This isn't a graft by chance?  The "secondary" trunk might be the root stock that may be trying to grow - sometimes something (lack of water, too much water, heatwave, cold winter ...) can encourage the grafted root stock to send out suckers and maybe this is something similar?  Even if it is not the graft, having 2 trunks might be diverting water uptake in times of water stress so that some branches do not get enough (and hence, die-back on some leaves)

In the photos I saw lots of trees in the back ground as well as stuff underneath the tree - plums need good air movement through its branches otherwise the humid conditions can encourage problems.  Maybe prune it midsummer to open up the space between branches in the centre (always prune plum trees in summer when it is dry, not in autumn/winter as it increases risk of silver leaf disease) and nip off those dead branches.  You might want to wipe the shears with a disinfectant in case of disease - you don't want to transfer it to good wood, and burn any trimmings from the tree.

With regards fruit - wasps and other pests like the plum moth larvae can invade fruit and this causes them to show problems.  If fungal, sometimes cutting back the dead and damaged branches may reduce infection - never heard of it before, but I saw something called pocket plum.  Also, to ensure the tree remains productive, you should thin out the number of fruit on the tree (wait until after the June drop to get a better idea - this is usually when non-fertile seeds initiate fruit to drop off trees so that the others can develop normally)  Also look for ants and aphids.

EDIT:  maybe put some potash as a top dressing round the base - this can help trees against fungal problems.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 14:25 by BabbyAnn »

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 14:28 »
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure on whether the tree was grafted or not, as I've only been on the plot a year and so dont know it's history.  It is next to quite a few other trees (pear and two apples) as well a bay tree near it.  All planted by the previous occupant. I've cleared all the weeds from around the base of the tree and put membrame down to stop them coming back.

I'll try and get some better pictures of the trunk to show the two splitting trunks.  It's quite a large tree and I dont think it has ever been pruned or cared for much in the past. I'll give it a trim in the summer and see if this helps it.

maddave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 06:41 »
Here's some more pictures I managed to get last night.  I've been reading about silver leaf disease and think I could be a victim.  There is a brown centre to a branch I broke off and the pictures show the colour of the tree, i.e. very silvery next to the green of the bay below and the trees in the background.  Is there anyway to truly confirm if the tree has the disease?
IMG_20150603_192345.jpg
IMG_20150603_191443.jpg
IMG_20150603_191407.jpg
IMG_20150603_191354.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 08:09 »
I think you might be right about the silver leaf  :(  The dark brown staining inside the wood is not good and it does look like its been the victim of some pretty rough pruning in the past.  If this was done at the wrong time of year, there would have been plenty of cut surfaces for the fungus spores to get in.

There is a condition called false silver leaf, which is caused by nutrient deficiency, so it might be worth feeding the tree and putting a good mulch of manure or well rotted compost round it, just to see if it picks up.  You have plenty of fruit on the tree and it would be shame not to be able eat it later on in the summer  :)

The only way to know for sure if it is the true disease would be to get some expert help.  The RHS used to offer this service, but you have to be a member.  I'm not sure if they still do as I let my membership lapse quite a few years ago.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 08:23 »
Try contacting one of the orchard groups http://www.orchardnetwork.org.uk/content/south-east I am sure someone will point you in the right direction to confirm if it is.  :)

xx
Unhappy apple tree

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 31, 2014, 08:22
by londongardener
xx
plum tree

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 20, 2014, 22:10
by Comfr3y
xx
Plum Tree

Started by dawnfuller on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 30, 2012, 13:55
by Kleftiwallah
clip
Plum tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2014, 13:05
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.827 seconds with 29 queries.