how to straighten a tree

• 2 Replies

barley

how to straighten a tree
« on: June 03, 2015, 08:05 »
my poor 5 year old pear tree is now on lean thanks to the flipping wind  :mad:

its not uprooted and is far to well established to move so any ideas how we can try to gently push it back up right without damaging it ?

Springlands

Re: how to straighten a tree
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 09:44 »
This may or may not work because the roots of the tree might have been too badly damaged. Drive a stake into the ground a few feet away from the tree facing where it is listing. Place a tree tie around the tree and attach it to the stake. Gradually, over a few days, pull the pear tree upright - you would then need to keep the tree staked until you are sure that the tree had not died and that it is firmly anchored into the ground - at least to next spring to see if it comes into leaf and flower. It might work or it might not but you really have nothing to lose.  :)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: how to straighten a tree
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 12:51 »
Oh dear, I had the same problem with my plum tree. There is trellis behind it so I have attached the trunk to the trellis post (anchored in a met-post) with strong nylon webbing. I have to admit I didn't push it back up gradually, just did it in one go. In fact it's happened twice, the first time I tried propping it up from underneath with a post, but the next spell of windy weather knocked that out from underneath and it fell down even further. It has stayed upright in these latest gales (I was very anxious about it  :() but the post is now being pulled over by the tree, so I am going to order some more webbing to attach the post to another post on the other side which is a bit more sturdy. It's going to look a bit messy BUT - the good news is that the tree still looks healthy with a really good crop of plums on it.
Good luck, if your pear is as obliging as my plum then the prognosis is good!
Rachael

question
can I straighten an apple tree?

Started by andreadon on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 29, 2019, 16:38
by andreadon
xx
Dare I try to straighten up a Medlar Tree?

Started by Hectare on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 22:58
by Hectare
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.905 seconds with 36 queries.