James Greive Apple not too good and a Pea question Help please.

• 7 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Hi All,

The James Grieve Apple is possibly 20 - 30 years old and planted on my plot well before my time.  It has signs of canker and this year there is a lot of die-back.  what should I do?  prune out the die-back?  As you can see there are plenty of apples forming.

Pea Question, Alderman - the leaf has white blotches on the leaves is this a sign of a soil deficiency?

Mike.

James Greave (3).JPG
James Greive (4).JPG
James Greive (5).JPG
Pea Alderman leaf spots (1).JPG
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 20:07 by greenhead »

Sparkyrog

The apple look's like it needs a serious haircut . Pea's I don't know  :)
I cook therefore I grow

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Thanks Sparkyrog,  can I do it now?  How much wood should be taken out?

Mike.

Sparkyrog

I would wait till autumn ! but there are wiser heads than mine on here  ;)

Salmo

Those pea leaves are the colour pea leaves are. Some varieties have more distinct light blotches than others.

BabbyAnn

Peas - agree with Salmo that the leaves are normal

Apple tree - personally I would probably tackle the problem before autumn.  Perhaps later in June and when we have warm calm dry weather (reduces risk of fungal infection spreading and getting into the cut surface) then cut the branch with the canker right back to good wood and use a tree wound sealant (google and you'll see several on the market - some contain fungicide so do check that it is suitable for fruit trees)  You could also remove branches that cross over as these are likely to rub against each other and be a problem in the future.  You could wait until autumn to do a proper pruning job on the rest of the tree.  Try to remove as much of the debris / sawdust when done and preferably burn. 

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Thank you Salmo and BabbyAnn,

What concerns me is the die-back on branches that were healthy - they show applets but the leaves have shriveled up.  There was plenty of blossom, the tree looked healthy 4 weeks ago - Weather related?

Mike.

BabbyAnn

What concerns me is the die-back on branches that were healthy - they show applets but the leaves have shriveled up.  There was plenty of blossom, the tree looked healthy 4 weeks ago - Weather related?

possibly - looking at the photo it does appear to be on one side where the branches caught the brunt of something (maybe a frost or wind burn on tender new leaves or even carelessly sprayed herbicide?)  If the branches still look green and healthy, perhaps leave them but might be worth keeping an eye on growth, check for pests like aphids or signs of "blight" (just a generic term in this case of leaves appearing to scorch and die off without obvious reason other than it may be fungal)

clip
Apple tree no;good?

Started by Jd1980 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2019, 18:10
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Apple tree(s). Which are good for a lottie?

Started by She'sinthegarden on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 16:16
by londongardener
xx
James Wong Sweetcorn and Tomatoes

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 13, 2022, 09:54
by Subversive_plot
xx
Has anyone grown James Wong's cocktail kiwi? How ornamental/attractive does it

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 05, 2013, 07:19
by RookieJim

Page created in 0.443 seconds with 36 queries.