Should Know Better

• 7 Replies

Christine

Should Know Better
« on: June 02, 2015, 14:56 »
There's a few of us been around a bit and been round the block with this allotment business so we should know better with some of the things we do.  ::)  ;)

I've got one plot which is full and in control as far as plots are ever in control. Well you know, you have a good five minutes then turn round and something is out of order. Anyway been there since February 2007 so it should be right. Put too many seedlings in trays this year and ran out of space. Said I needed another plot.

On the same site there's a derelict plot that has grown about a dozen cabbages since I've been around. Everyone else on the waiting list has refused it due to the state of it, well it's been abandoned more times than used. So here I am with seedlings and an overgrown plot mid season. Luckily I can see an area which I can turn without too much time passing. But I really should know better.

It looks chaotic doesn't it but the allotment association are supposed to be clearing the pallets which are no use to anyone - anyone has had the option of them and refused them. Have organised some spraying when the wind dies down if ever it does. You can't see the corner where there's a possible growing area but there we go. More pictures in a few weeks I think.
Some clues from April on the normal plot - didn't get everything but it gives a clue
newPlot.jpg
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 15:01 by Christine »

snowdrops

Re: Should Know Better
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 15:45 »
I'm sure you could build something with those pallets, compost bins,fences, seating areas, that sort of thing. Even a fire to burn those weeds on,although you are a bit close to that house,they might complain. I think once it's sprayed pop some cardboard over it & plant through some membrane & you'll soon have it under control. And any way what were you going to do all year if your other ones all done ;) :lol: :lol:. Good luck  :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 17:16 »
I was going to say the same about those pallets, Snowy  :lol:  We have a nice run of three bins now, lined with landscape membrane, and jolly good they are too.

Christine, that plot might look like hard work right now, but you will soon whip it into shape I am sure, and it will expand your horizons even further  :D :D

Right place, right time for you, obviously  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Christine

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 21:01 »
A lot of the pallets are weird, they have polystyrene supports and metal frames round the top edges and no-one is keen to use them. It's not been for lack of offering them around.

There are a few which are topped with cheap ply which wouldn't stand the use if made into things so I think a fire will take those when the wind is southerly so as not to upset the house. Mind you, there's a few who have had problems with the house who have chuckled at the thought.

I'm patiently digging at the far end and have cleared quite a space where things are not too bad - will be docks and dandelions come back but they can be dealt with as they come. There are areas which need spraying especially on the slope and this is being organised.

Oh and I've made the link to my photos public - not sure why I forgot to do it when I posted! Maybe I'm losing it! I was wondering what I should be doing other than cutting hedges on plot number 1. Be a bit more chaotic when there are peas to pick I suppose but we'll survive.  :lol:

Suziet8

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 21:13 »
Good luck!

Christine

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 08:03 »
Thanks Suzie!

Two tenants back, someone rotovated the plot with a mini digger and levelled one corner for a shed. Shame they put 8 inches of soil on top of a double folded carpet. Next tenant in put two internal room doors side parallel to the level area (we won't go into the shed they built that fell down in the wind) and when the doors were removed the edges of said carpet appeared.

Don't you just love allotment holders? :mad: :D Still the carpet is mostly out except for the bit under the hedge that can wait.

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 09:32 »
Why do people insist on putting carpet down on an allotment, should be banned IMO :mad:
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

slingshot2000

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 12:05 »
Why do people insist on putting carpet down on an allotment, should be banned IMO :mad:

What he said ^^^^ :mad:

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 27 queries.