Coldest Spring ?

• 17 Replies

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
Coldest Spring ?
« on: June 02, 2015, 12:06 »
Hi Guys,

IS it me, or has this been the coldest spring in memory?

Not in terms of Icey cold like 2013, but in terms of April & May nightime temps still being around 0-5 degrees?

And today with the heavy winds and rain, everything tender is now getting battered all over the shop....

It seems like we are about 3-4 weeks behind, anyone else finding this?

Regards

Wizzy
When weeding, the best way to know if its a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull it.

If it comes out easy, it was a valuable plant !

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: Coldest Spring ?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 12:32 »
I just know it seems to have gone on for a looong time :(
Anne

Steve_LF

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 12:45 »
I seem to remember last year was just as bad.

mctoon

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 13:55 »
If you are about 4 weeks behind Wizzy, then up here in cold windy Northumberland im about 2 month >:(

Just returned from allot to see what damage the lovely 50mph gales are causing, not happy at all, loads of debri, neighbors fence fell into my plot, half the seedling have flown off, spring onions are at right angles!!, the list is endless
The joys of a british summer - and tonight a 4 till midnight shift to look forward too

On the plus side a may get a couple of tomatoes from the greenhouse if im lucky, Rant over

Cheers Mal

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 14:19 »
I remember cool nights and a lot of rain, last year - but don't remember it being cold during the day, like it has been this year, and right through May  :(

I was on holiday in Cornwall first week of May last year. It wasn't hot weather but not as cold as it is this the first week of June.

Just checked - CET according to the Met office was 10.8C for May 2015, it was 12.2C last year.

It looks as if only May 2010, May 2013 and May 2015 have been below 11C since 1996

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/hadobs/hadcet/mly_cet_mean_sort.txt
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 14:20 by mumofstig »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 14:31 »
About now is around the average time I've planted the tender stuff outside over the years (usually up to a week or so either way) so I'm neither in front nor behind at the moment, although I did sow several crops late so I could easily slip behind if things don't look up (and not just for a few days!)

My garden's normal perennial residents, delphiniums for instance, do seem a bit late this year, and the few hardier veg, like shallots, aren't exactly racing away, but I'd only put it at a week or so later than 'average' for these parts.

The weeds are doing brilliantly, of course.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 22:22 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 14:36 »
It's been a vile Spring. Cold, not enough rain here and a constant, howling wind that just hasn't stopped, even on the sunnier days. The last two days have been just awful. Can't face the plot today and seeing more destruction, will leave it 'til tomorrow. Hope the new polytunnel is still there! Plants are behind compared to last year.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 14:55 »
This windy weather makes me anxious, nervous and irritable. My large plum tree blew over in the last gales around Easter time, I have since managed to push it back up and tie it to a post, and - touch wood - so far so good. Last time I looked it was still vertical, but we'll see how it's been doing while I've been at work.
I am dreading going to the allotment to see how my beans are faring: broad beans are about 5 ft tall but I have staked and tied them up this year so fingers crossed, but my French and runner beans will have taken a battering i'm sure. Luckily I have delayed planting out sweetcorn, squashes and courgettes for the time being.
Rachael

andimac

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 15:26 »
I am away until next week so I wonder and worry how everything is coping.

But at least it isn't as bad as Norway where I am just now. The main Stavanger to Oslo road over the mountains has been closed due to fresh snow today!

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 19:41 »
Well, it's June and usually I've got most stuff down the plot by now- this year due to tardiness I seem to be accidentally in tune with the weather (ie 2/3 weeks behind) but that may all change...tomorrow  :D  forecasting 20degrees for the next 2 weeks with 12-14  at nights.  Expecting made planting out for the next few days.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 21:47 »
All my perennial plants seem about 3 weeks late this year, and my half-hardy annuals, which normally go in last week or this, are still way too tiny.It's just been too cold, with too little sun. Night time temps seem to have been well below average, and - is it my imagination? - ir seems to have been abnormally windy all year. My plot's very exposed so always gusty, but it's normally calmed down by mid-spring, and this year it's never stopped.
I don't really look like my avatar.

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 22:15 »
Seem to remember a month ago it was one of the sunniest Aprils on record!!!

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 22:32 »
Spring will be coldest in 50 years, Met Office says

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22718944

Global Cooling!

Be afraid!!!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 22:35 by Bing »
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

Mum2mj

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 09:18 »
Well, it's June and usually I've got most stuff down the plot by now- this year due to tardiness I seem to be accidentally in tune with the weather (ie 2/3 weeks behind) but that may all change...tomorrow  :D  forecasting 20degrees for the next 2 weeks with 12-14  at nights.  Expecting made planting out for the next few days.

Haha, snap pigguns I'm behind as well  :nowink:

Mark's Sussex Allotment

• 38 year old male, Married father of two
    • Mark's Sussex Allotment
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 09:20 »
Seem to remember a month ago it was one of the sunniest Aprils on record!!!

Sun equals warm days, and freeeeeeeeezing nights (well in April anyway)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 12:27 by wizzyfax »

xx
spring

Started by goodegg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 18:51
by Missy1970
xx
Spring!

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2020, 06:43
by GraciesGran
xx
early spring veg

Started by seedman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 20:31
by seedman
xx
Spring brassicas doing nothing?

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 22:19
by BeardedDez

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 38 queries.