Lark Sweet Corn failure

• 16 Replies

cadalot

Lark Sweet Corn failure
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:28 »
For the first year ever I have sown Lark sweet corn an absolutely none have germinated  :(
I previous years I may have had one of two not germinate but 24  ::)
Anyone else having problems?

I will have to go and buy some more seeds but it will not be from unwins that's for sure.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Lark Sweet Corn failure
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:49 »
I've found that the viability of both Lark and Swift declines markedly after a year, and it's also a possibility that 'packed in year ending' isn't the same thing as 'grown and packed in year ending', although I've no real evidence to support any doubts, least of all in respect of any particular supplier.

I had some leftover Earlibird seeds from last year (Wilcos) and some new ones from Premier seeds direct, and I chitted both lots between damp sheets of kitchen paper, and every single one germinated within 3 days!

You were undoubtedly unlucky - chitting new seeds will hopefully put your mind at rest and save a bit of time too (make sure you sow them as soon as you see the white roots emerge.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cadalot

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 09:55 »
Hi JayG - sow by date was 2016 and coated with wonder gunk to aid germination so it says.

I have never had to chit sweet corn but this time maybe.....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 10:03 »
My Premier Seeds had the pink gunk on, the Wilcos ones didn't - I believe it's a fungicide to reduce the chances of the seed rotting before it germinates.

Don't know where you bought your seeds from but seeds in GC's with glass roofs may have had a torrid time before you even opened the packet!  :ohmy:

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 11:44 »
Oh Cadalot - that's a real blow for any sweet corn lover!  :( I bought both Swift and Lark this year and sowed two to a pot then picked out the weakest or smallest one. That way it also means that if any don't germinate I still have backups. Mine were from D.T.Browns and I had about 95% germination rate. Previously I've also had a good germination rate from older seeds so haven't a clue as to what is happening. I used Verve like I did last year and the texture was good but maybe not as much nutrient in it for potting-on; there again, seeds don't want much nutrient to germinate. I don't chit either. Um??  ???
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

chillimummy

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 22:28 »
I also had nil germination from mine too. Last years seeds too but in date. Good to know that not too late to resow. Will definitely chit them too 
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 05:12 »
If you need more seed, may I suggest Moles Seeds. You will need to bump the order up to a minimum of £7.50, but there will be no postage.

250 seeds of Lark = £3.00

DT Brown 35 = £1.99 + 95p post = £2.94.

So for an extra 6p you get 215 more seed! You can afford to sow plenty of spares to be safe at that rate, although I've always found their germination rates to be excellent.

http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/flower_and_vegetable_seed_store_uk/Products_F1_Lark_4147.html#aVSW064_20_2001
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

cadalot

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 06:18 »
Thanks DD that looks like the place to get sweet corn seeds in the future

Chillimummy - at least we both know we are not alone ;)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 06:19 by cadalot »

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 17:33 »
I have had similar problem. For first time this year I was deliberately frugal on the seed orders and, since I had lots of lark left from last year didn't order any, and they were in date too  ::)

Only about 6 have come up so not enough, but they are strong plants. I also don't have long summer up here usually so prob don't have time to re order and re sow. Might try and find seedlings in local garden centre, but will prob be different variety, not sure if that matters, but unlikely to polinate at same time!

JaniceB

• Fighting clay and rabbits
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 18:44 »
I chitted for the first time this spring and had an alarmingly good germination rate. They were Special Swiss from Real Seeds. I am not here to gloat by the way: since their vigorous germination, they have been hit by snail and slugs!

If it's not one thing, it's another...

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 20:41 »
I have had problems with germination in the past, so this year I bought a cheapo propagator nothing fancy, electric, no thermostat, constant heat between 19-21 degs, put sweet corn in dish lined with wetted paper towel, they germinated within 36hrs, did a similar thing with runner beans in module tray, all up within 72hrs. Best thing I have bought in years.

chillimummy

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 21:35 »
Thanks DD that looks like the place to get sweet corn seeds in the future

Chillimummy - at least we both know we are not alone ;)
Cadalot
Last year my whole crop of sweetcorn was eaten and this year nil germination.  :(
Think will try again this year and hope for an actual crop  :lol:

cadalot

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 22:11 »
Squirrels ate half of my crop last year  :nowink: someone suggested putting a pop bottle over the cobs once they have been fertilised to protect them   

LotuSeed

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 00:05 »
I have had similar problem. For first time this year I was deliberately frugal on the seed orders and, since I had lots of lark left from last year didn't order any, and they were in date too  ::)

Only about 6 have come up so not enough, but they are strong plants. I also don't have long summer up here usually so prob don't have time to re order and re sow. Might try and find seedlings in local garden centre, but will prob be different variety, not sure if that matters, but unlikely to polinate at same time!

Flint/Dent and popcorn varieties are dominant over sweet corn.
Yellow coloring is dominant over white. If you're planting two varieties of sweet corn they should ideally be of the same "sweetness". You can try sowing them with a two week gap between sowing, but if both still happen to be in tassel at the same time then they are likely to cross pollinate (if they're not spaced a significant distance apart)
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

cadalot

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 07:07 »
THERE ALIVE!!!

Ok having sowed the sweet corn and nothing happening for 14 days I condemned them as a failure because historically Lark had always germinated for me in about 3-4 days. Yesterday two little shoots and today 5 out of the two trays.... perhaps the cold nights in the outside greenhouse knocked them back a little?

There was no germination period stated on the packet, however the new corn I picked up "Swift F1" says 7-21 days so perhaps I was just impatient historically having such quick germination  :nowink:

Now, I've chitted the new seed (never done that before) and they have grown within 2 days!, but is what I'm seeing the root OR the stem of the corn - in other words which way up do I sow then  :unsure: I'm guessing its the stem but I would have to get it wrong and sow them upside down  :blush:

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
Sweet corn

Started by sianb on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 22:42
by compostqueen
xx
Sweet corn

Started by necy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 22:00
by gavinjconway
xx
sweet corn

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2016, 09:29
by JayG

Page created in 0.385 seconds with 38 queries.