flubenvet and chicks

• 8 Replies

megkaya

flubenvet and chicks
« on: May 24, 2015, 08:09 »
Hello all!
I am new to this forum and I would be very grateful for any advice.
I ordered some flubenvet (in the form of ready-mixed pellets) before my chicks hatched but it didn't arrive until after they hatched. They are now 4 weeks and 3 weeks old.
The adult chickens including the mothers, have shown signs of worms so it's more than a systematic treatment, I'd really like to address it.

So now I have a kind of dilemma-
Is there a mimimim age to worm chickens? I can't find the answer anywhere.

And, I can't see a date on the packaging but I have heard that flubenvet goes 'off', anyone know how long I've got?

Is there any point at all in treating the rest of the flock, if I'm not treating the 2 mothers and 9 chicks which in a few weeks will be reintegrated?

Thank you so much from me and the chooks, I am very excited to be part of this forum and chatting with like-minded people :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: flubenvet and chicks
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 09:46 »
Hi there, and welcome to the mad house hen house!  ;) ;)

If you are not going to introduce the chicks and their Mum's back into the flock for a few more weeks, then I would worm the main flock ASAP.  I have never wormed chicks until they get to at least 3 months.

I don't know what the 'official' thing is, only what we've done here.  Must admit we've been lucky and never had much problem with worms.

Once wormed and clear, I don't suppose its possible to move the chicken's run at all is it, as the thing that would worry me is if any of those worms survived and stayed in the ground. 

I haven't had chicks for 4 years now, so hopefully someone with more knowledge will add to this.

megkaya

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:25 »
Thank you Annie, wow I have a new Grannie!  :D
That seems sensible, and then I can reintroduce the rest.
The chickens are completely free range in the day time, they can literally go wherever they like as we live in a very isolated place with no roads or neighbours. But this does mean that the worms are likely to survive in the ground as you say.
I will follow your advice and worm the main flock.
Do you think there is any way I can worm the mamas without the chicks getting a dose?
I was considering getting some of the more concentrated flubenvet powder and giving each of the mothers a raisin full of it each day or something..?
Has anyone tried something like this?
Thanks for your help, you won't believe how long I've spent trawling the internet for answers.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 14:40 »
Hi and welcome  :)

There are people on here who worm using half a grape dosed with the concentrated powder. so you could treat the mothers this way.

I'm going to worm mine again soon and am going to use the same method as last time, which was to mix the dose onto treat seeds very lightly coated with cooking oil, then feed these first thing to make sure everyone has had their medicine.  They have got sunflower hearts this time.

Another thing which is quite common on here is for people to put peeled garlic cloves in the drinking water to help keep worms down.   I use the dried garlic flakes sold for horses in my lots feed, but I've never had tiny chicks before, so maybe best to wait for someone more experienced in that area to add some advice  :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 15:16 »
Thank you Annie, wow I have a new Grannie!  :D
That seems sensible, and then I can reintroduce the rest.
The chickens are completely free range in the day time, they can literally go wherever they like as we live in a very isolated place with no roads or neighbours. But this does mean that the worms are likely to survive in the ground as you say.
I will follow your advice and worm the main flock.
Do you think there is any way I can worm the mamas without the chicks getting a dose?
I was considering getting some of the more concentrated flubenvet powder and giving each of the mothers a raisin full of it each day or something..?
Has anyone tried something like this?
Thanks for your help, you won't believe how long I've spent trawling the internet for answers.

:lol: :lol: Megkaya, I don't mind putting you on my list of adopted grandchildren!  I have 8 of my own, plus a great granddaughter of 7, plus loads of others, either virtual, or friends of my eldest granddaughters!   :D :D :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 15:18 »
Another thought, perhaps you could make a temporary run for the older girls for a few weeks until the worms are out, then let them back out on their free range? 

Then you could leave the penned off bit to recover?

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 23:23 »
How many garlic cloves do you put in the water New Shoot? One of my older girls will eat crushed garlic but the other doesn't like it. Haven't tried the 11 week old ones yet.
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 07:40 »
How many garlic cloves do you put in the water New Shoot? One of my older girls will eat crushed garlic but the other doesn't like it. Haven't tried the 11 week old ones yet.

I don't actually do this Jomtie, but from what I have read from others on here, a single peeled clove is fine.  You replace it with a fresh one every few days and some people give the old clove to the hens to eat, as some love it  :)

Mine are on their final day of their Flubenvet worming today.  The medicated seeds have been gobbled down each day with great enthusiasm.  I think they will be a bit disappointed tomorrow not to get them  :lol:

megkaya

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 13:52 »
I have wormed the adults. NExt time I will buy the powder to put in a grape, instead of using the pre-medicated pellets, so I can let them continue being free-range! Also I've since heard of people adding dried garlic from equestrian stores to the feed as a preventative measure.
Thanks all!

xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Flubenvet??

Started by avilla on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 06:28
by joyfull
xx
flubenvet 1%

Started by oneup555 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 11:24
by joyfull

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 38 queries.