more verve mpc opinions for this year, sorry.

• 9 Replies

3759allen

more verve mpc opinions for this year, sorry.
« on: May 22, 2015, 20:08 »
i don't want really want to start the whole what mpc is best, cheapest, value for money, etc but i'm going to have to comment on the bag of verve i brought recently.

i've always been a fan of verve it's always done me really well over the the last few years. i brought a bag early in the year (think this was last years going by the bag) this looked and felt the same as ever. i brought another bag a couple of weeks ago (think this is a new batch as the bags different) it seems to be a bit more fibrous with larger bits than usual and more importantly doesn't seem to have the same get up and go for the plants. i can't really explain it but there just doesn't seem to be the same vigour with the plants this year, even the seeds seem to be struggling to germinate.

after the recent post about the miracle grow experiment i think i may be going away from verve next year and opt for a more expensive brand.

anyone got any views if they think this years verve is different.

grinling

Re: more verve mpc opinions for this year, sorry.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 20:17 »
most compost is made from people's waste and more and more use weedkiller than removal methods. Massive problems for the commercial sector.

mrsbean

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 20:33 »
had to sift mine into an upright kitchen rubbish bin, then had to sift again into a trug as i went along. had 2 bags erin compost given me. it was soft and fluffy. will compare the difference.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 20:43 »
I have had last seasons and this seasons (there is a change in packaging) this year. Both have been fine for me, if anything this seasons is a finer grade  :unsure:

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 12:04 »
Funny you should say this, but I have used Verve and noticed that this year's supply doesn't seem to have the ooomph for my seedlings that the other years did.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 14:45 »
Mine doesn't have much 'verve' this year either GG. Am gradually switching over to peat-free anyway so I won't be buying much more.

Isn't peat-based compost being phased out for 2020 anyway? (that used to sound so far away....!)

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 15:23 »
I thought this years was a little finer than last and I've had no plastic or logs in the 3 125L bales I bought, seems far less peat in it than last year too ?

It's utter useless for raising plants in though.   >:(

lettice

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 15:53 »
I've bought two lots this year as has my Dad and for both of us its been the same as the last few years, great value.
Raised all my seeds with it successfully. My cucumbers, toms, raised bed top ups, large container/pots top ups have all loved it this year.
Have a great ongoing and constant picking lettuce crop from it in my lettuce tubs.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 16:38 »
i can't really explain it but there just doesn't seem to be the same vigour with the plants this year, even the seeds seem to be struggling to germinate.
Anyone got any views if they think this years verve is different.

I have been thinking exactly the same thing. I have used verve for years and this year bought in 3x 125 l bags. The bags have 58% peat and enough plant nutrients and trace elements for 6 weeks. Germination seems Ok but then everything seems to go downhill. Brassica seedling seem to struggle, (outer leaves going pale and dying) and tomatoes have a massive problem with magnesium deficiency, and I have never experienced that in my life. Now feeding everything with Miracle Grow and Epsom salts. (NB Seedlings are grown in a 50/50 soil/Verve mix as always.) I don't have any complaints about the composition- hardly any woody bits)

JaniceB

• Fighting clay and rabbits
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 17:48 »
I bought two 125 litre bags about six weeks ago. I was surprised how fine-ground it was - there was no plastic, rubbish or chunks of tree. I needed the MPC to fill a bath-tub that I am now growing carrots in. The seeds have all germinated satisfactorily. I am very happy with it and it was a good price.

I think most seedlings (mine, anyway) have been lacking vigour this year regardless of compost used, although the recent comparison pics of beans in Miracle Gro are impressive, but I am inclined to remember that it is not 'neat' compost, it has added 'oomph'.

xx
B & Q Verve MPC

Started by Dave NE on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post March 29, 2015, 15:39
by Dave NE
xx
Verve Compost

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post February 26, 2014, 11:44
by surbie100
xx
Problem with B&Q Verve Grobags?

Started by Stewarty on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 20, 2018, 20:15
by oldgrunge
xx
Any Comments On B&Q Verve Compost?

Started by PembsPanther on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 18:13
by steved

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 36 queries.