Runner Beans

• 13 Replies

Willow_Warren

Runner Beans
« on: May 21, 2015, 09:57 »
Quick question - is there still time to start runner beans off?  Would have normally done so by now but long story as to why I haven't.

I've only done some dwarf ones for pots (Heista), I want to get some tall ones growing as well!

Hannah :)

snowdrops

Re: Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:01 »
Yes plenty of time imho. Mine are just germinating as we speak on a sunny conservatory window, it's certainly been too cold & windy to be planting them out. Or you could sow direct if no indoor space available.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 10:02 »
I'm just about to set some more off.  If you're worried, stick them in a heated propagator, they'll be up in a couple of days!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 10:32 »
Great, I'll pop a few in the propagator over the weekend!

hamstergbert

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 10:46 »
When having to do second sowings (such as when the little mouse gardeners dig the beans out of some of the pots.  Swines.) I have tended to find that although still behind the first sowing at the point of planting out, they all take a bit of a knock and thereafter pretty well perform all about the same once settled down outside.

Have also been known to sow a few direct even in the middle of June to fill up an odd bare patch on a wall trellis and still get significant crops from them.

Just as well really - not far off being the only  things I can still grow apart from a few pots of salad leaves.
(Still got loads of last years beans in the freezer too.  May have over-catered slightly in 2014.....)
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 10:54 »
I'd forget the propagator. You don't need that much heat, it can lead to the seed rotting. Outside in a sheltered spot will suffice.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 10:59 »
I recently found this great tip on the hort channel, when planting out your runner/French bean plants, put a seed in next to it for successional sowing, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 11:07 »
You don't need to go wandering off elsewhere,  you'll find one of our own members (I think it's Kristen) is a great advocate of that.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 11:47 »
I'd forget the propagator. You don't need that much heat, it can lead to the seed rotting. Outside in a sheltered spot will suffice.

I 2nd that!  I start some off in 3" pots late April, then put them in the ground about now.  Then I put more straight in the ground around now.  In fact I put some in pots yesterday too as quite a few of my earlies rotted.  Some seem to hold water more than others in the pots for some reason!   :(

Never mind, still plenty of seeds.  Mine never go under heat anyway, even the April sowings in pots start off in cool greenhouse.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 11:48 »
Never quite got the hang of the successional sowing, just don't think I'm organised enough!

Anyhow, I'll get them all sown at the weekend, adding it to my "to do list" - which is currently ever growing!

Robster

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 12:38 »
I've just planted my first runners out.  I'll sow some more in early june.  In actual fact when I sow some more summer squash as well.  There's plenty of time and hopefully have nice tender fresh runners into late October with a bit of luck. 

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 13:02 »
I recently found this great tip on the hort channel, when planting out your runner/French bean plants, put a seed in next to it for successional sowing, Dave
I didn't think you needed a succession of runner/french beans! It seems to me that if you keep picking them, they will keep growing new ones!  And anyway I have usually had enough by September.. :nowink:
Anne

Robster

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 13:15 »
To me they always seem to get a bit tough and horny after a couple of months so I'm happy to have a second batch on the go.  Same seems true of climbing french beans as well.  They are nice and crisp and well formed and latter get a bit less appetising bent and a bit discoloured .  Edible but not at their best.  We always have a large amount in the freezer and last well through to Christmas or January but can be a bit past it after that.

3759allen

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 14:07 »
i seem to be having trouble germinating mine this year. had to sow a second batch which is just starting to break through. think the seed maybe a little on the old side.

to be honest given the coldish nights we're still having you haven't missed much and won't be too far behind.

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Confused about runner and non-runner beans!

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 15, 2015, 20:24
by Yorkie
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans / kiddney beans

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 02, 2007, 21:35
by muntjac

Page created in 0.586 seconds with 36 queries.