Bobbins Germination Rates: beat this

• 56 Replies

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
Re: Bobbins Germination Rates: beat this
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 17:23 »
I cant understand how you are all having problems with what I have always thought of as bullet proof seeds, I started my blue lake and lady di in a cheep Aldi propagator on a sunny windowsill with 100% germination. A good tip I got of the hort channel is to sow a seed when planting out your been plants for successional sowing, wouldn't have thought of that in a million years, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

AnneB

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 17:26 »
I have been having patchy germination with onions, beans, beetroot, tomatoes, peppers and lettuce this year. 

Beans very puzzling, I think I am blaming the seed.   In particular I have had zero germination from Supermarconi climbing French Bean, seed new this year too, but 100% germination on Neckargold.  I don't think it's the compost, watering or growing conditions, which were the same for both.   

Also had problems with one sweet pepper, Golden Marconi, none came up from 10 sown, but success with other varieties.   My experimental Turkish Orange Aubergine from the same source was also a 100% disaster.

Only had problems with 2 types of tomato.  The Experimental tomato from T&M which had 1 from 5 seed come up,  and B. butcher.  I got 2 of the weediest seedlings you have ever seen from 10 of these, 1 of which keeled over.  The other still only has 2 leaves and is 2cm tall after several weeks!  My other tomatoes are around a foot tall now and ready to put in final positions!

All very odd.

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 17:37 »
After plenty of trial and error (mainly error lol) I can only conclude that bean seeds especially need warmth to germinate properly and not too much water. I plant into moist compost and then don't water at all until the compost is nearly dry again. Seems to work otherwise they just rot away.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 18:25 »
Most stuff has come up (the squash are very slow growing), but only 1 achocha fat baby.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 20:58 »
I thought I was going crazy struggling with dwarf French beans this year! I have got 3 out of 10 so need to do a second sowing

barley

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 21:03 »
I think we're all struggling with this spring weather

more like flipping autumn than spring at the mo

Flowertot

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 22:28 »
I am struggling with French beans (dwarf and climbing) and Queensland Blue pumpkins 4/4 failed. I think my problem is the fluctuating temperatures in my blowaway greenhouse.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 22:50 »
I'm struggling with climbing beans and some of the older squash seeds I have. The fresh ones have almost jumped out of the pots, so obviously my storage conditions could be better. I get better germination if I don't put them in the heated propagator as I think I might be overwatering.

Flowertot I have loads of Q Blue seeds if you want any. Though if you got them from the seed parcel they were probably either mine or pigguns'...

Scottish Mike

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 23:20 »
My Borlotti have germinated great this year (7/8 although 1 was mouldy and is behind this others.
Other peas not looking good though: Only 2/8 for Ambassador peas and 0/8 for Flash sugarsnaps. Think I just ad them in seed compost.

My squash have been patchy: 2/2 potimarron, 5/9 munchkin pumpkin and 4/9 spinning gourd. They're all in Lidl compost, and seem quite happy.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 07:42 »
Flowertot I have loads of Q Blue seeds if you want any. Though if you got them from the seed parcel they were probably either mine or pigguns'...

2 of my QB germinated but they were the yellow colour we were warned about, so went in the bin  ::)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 08:16 »
I've had an unusual amount of failures this year with big seeds, peas and beans etc which hasn't been an issue previous years.

Im not convinced about the compost quality or seed viability yet. Last years spring onion trials were enough to convince me about dead seeds, even across suppliers.
I'm exactly the same Lardman  :(

But I just can't fathom the effort in starting bean seeds in modules when they manage perfectly well being sown direct ???

cadalot

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 08:19 »
I've had an unusual amount of failures this year with big seeds, peas and beans etc which hasn't been an issue previous years.

Im not convinced about the compost quality or seed viability yet. Last years spring onion trials were enough to convince me about dead seeds, even across suppliers.

But I just can't fathom the effort in starting bean seeds in modules when they manage perfectly well being sown direct ???

Get's them past the demon slugs and snails that like to munch on them when they are but an inch or so tall  :nowink:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 08:20 »
My white runners were a zero, yet the reds were 100%

White went into the compost bin, reds on the plot.

French beans ( nautica) doing beautifully

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 08:29 »

Get's them past the demon slugs and snails that like to munch on them when they are but an inch or so tall  :nowink:
Blue pellets of doom :nowink:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 08:31 »

If I sow direct I get no beans - mice and slugs take them all.  ::)

2 of my QB germinated but they were the yellow colour we were warned about, so went in the bin  ::)

Perils of not isolating I guess but at least you could see straight off that they were different. I didn't keep any as I had so many of my own - wonder what they had crossed with?

xx
you cant beat it

Started by toptonk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 26, 2007, 05:23
by Gwiz
xx
Growth Rates

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 06:40
by shaun
xx
Is this how to beat carrot fly!

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 10:05
by Jay Dubya
xx
fertiliser usage rates

Started by andtiggertoo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 00:07
by Salmo

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 39 queries.