Sooty Aphids

• 1 Replies

Steveharford

Sooty Aphids
« on: May 17, 2015, 09:10 »
Has anyone successfully got rid of sooty aphids by spraying?  My two bay trees are covered and it is unuseable. They are typical garden centre ones i.e. about a dozen individual plants in one pot. They have been in a bigger pot for about ten years now so I'm thinking repotting might be of benefit for its general well being but I dont want to bother if the sooty mould cant be controlled easily.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Sooty Aphids
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 09:35 »
As is often the case I can't do better than point you towards the RHS take on the problem of sooty mould, although like many others I find that spraying with a very dilute solution of washing up liquid or organic soap is quite effective at aphid control, although it could be that yours is caused by something else which is a bit more difficult to deal with.

Must say I've only ever seen sweet bay sold singly in pots, but whether you've got one or more than one to a pot they will certainly need repotting after 10 years.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
sooty

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 07, 2019, 17:06
by rowlandwells
xx
Aphids

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2016, 18:19
by Twitch
xx
aphids already?

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 09:34
by lancashiregardeninggal
xx
Aphids

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2018, 08:52
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 38 queries.