OK, so who nicked my plastic row markers?

• 14 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
OK, so who nicked my plastic row markers?
« on: May 15, 2015, 10:31 »
4 weeks is not at all unusual in less than perfect conditions - you could try re-sowing next to the existing rows to hedge your bets if you've not got acres of spare space to play around with.

48 hours after sowing 3 rows of parsnips I won't be able to follow my own advice - all 3 plastic plant labels I used to mark the rows have been pulled out - I found one a few feet away, the other 2 have disappeared off the face of the earth!  :ohmy:

Never happened before, and although blackbirds have been up to their usual messy tricks looking for insects I'm currently suspecting a Jay which has made several appearances in my and neighbouring gardens recently.

Not that keen on concreting row markers in  ::), so if anyone has any better ideas please let me know.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: OK, so who nicked my plastic row markers?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 10:37 »
Bigger labels?  :lol:

A severe word with your namesake?!  :tongue2:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mobilekat

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:42 »
Its the starlings here that do that- I end up shoving them so far into the ground that I cannot read them, but at least they stay put!

::)
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 10:45 »
2 sticks and a line of string between them.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 10:58 »
I think i may have the culprit and his name isnt jay

image.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 11:02 »
 :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2015, 11:04 »
I think the culprit probably took exception to my anti-cat netting over the parsnip bed, because there are a few other plant labels dotted about which have been there since last year and completely ignored!

Probably not worth trying to re-mark these particular rows because I did too good a job tamping and watering the soil after sowing, but will probably use short canes for future sowings and rely on memory/spreadsheet to remind me of what went where.

Was half expecting some 'Jay' jokes, even though my name isn't actually Jay!  ::)

BQ - what is his name then (and how do you know it's a he and not a she?  :tongue2:)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2015, 11:34 »
I made a pun about your namesake ... clearly far too subtle for orang-utans  ;) :lol:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2015, 12:13 »
I think the culprit probably took exception to my anti-cat netting over the parsnip bed, because there are a few other plant labels dotted about which have been there since last year and completely ignored!

Probably not worth trying to re-mark these particular rows because I did too good a job tamping and watering the soil after sowing, but will probably use short canes for future sowings and rely on memory/spreadsheet to remind me of what went where.

Was half expecting some 'Jay' jokes, even though my name isn't actually Jay!  ::)

BQ - what is his name then (and how do you know it's a he and not a she?  :tongue2:)

Hes called Harry and I know it was him because he came and got me from the kitchen and while he was busy downstairs, she was busy upstairs with a whole bottle of PVA glue and her sisters quilling papers. I was only doing lunch how do they cause such chaos  :ohmy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2015, 12:20 »
Ah yes, should have guessed - sounds like you need to invent a new game: "Helping mummy get lunch ready."  :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2015, 12:45 »
That game can cause all sorts of problems  :ohmy:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2015, 12:54 »
That was just what I was thinking  :lol: 

Mind you, you can't fault the lad for speed.  Up to Sheffield nicking JayG's labels, then back in time to practise his innocent look on mum as she emerges from the kitchen  ;)  :lol:

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 13:08 »
I have a problem with markers too, have had for over five years. Plastic, wooden, twig or cane. They all disappear unless I push them into the ground so far I can't see them myself!

Bella dog. Obsessed! :lol: They weren't even safe when I had a greenhouse!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 13:12 »
That was just what I was thinking  :lol: 

Mind you, you can't fault the lad for speed.  Up to Sheffield nicking JayG's labels, then back in time to practise his innocent look on mum as she emerges from the kitchen  ;)  :lol:

I hope there's some of the PVA glue and quilling papers left over so he can construct something useful from them!  :lol:

Is it better to have 1 scene of chaos happening under one's nose than 2 happening in different parts of the house I wonder?  :unsure:  :nowink:

Went down the garden again this morning and discovered that a large red onion I'd forgotten about last year and planted in the garden (to possibly produce seeds from) has been shifted on to the path about 6' away.

Not blaming Harry for that (unless he smells of onion  ::)) and currently looking for some 6" nails and superglue to fix it in place!

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 09:35 »
A few decent sized pebbles and a marker pen should do, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

xx
Allotment Markers

Started by sarah1983jane on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 10:21
by Springlands
xx
spuds under plastic

Started by acwid on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 15, 2011, 22:15
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Plastic Greenhouse

Started by alwayshopeful on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 20:46
by tosca100
xx
slugs under plastic?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 12, 2007, 11:19
by muntjac

Page created in 0.489 seconds with 38 queries.