Anyone in north west put courgettes out yet?

• 16 Replies

ptarmigan

Anyone in north west put courgettes out yet?
« on: May 10, 2015, 10:10 »
They had a growth spurt...and with the squashes are taking over mini greenhouse.

It's just so cold and miserable out there not sure I want to put them out even with a cliche...

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Anyone in north west put courgettes out yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 10:27 »
The rule of thumb for all the tender 'summer stuff' is to avoid subjecting them to a temperature of less than about 10C to avoid setting them back, although I don't find courgettes to be quite as 'sulky' as sweet corn, for example.

Any frost will kill them outright - your last frost date is probably around the end of May where you are.

There are no official stats that I know of for those who gambled on planting out early and got away with it, probably because those who didn't are too embarrassed to admit it!  ;)

If yours are getting too big to manage where they are you may have to gamble and plant them out under cloches - personally I'd sow a few backups just in case (I only sowed courgettes for what is hopefully the first and only time yesterday.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 10:46 »
We keep getting occasional frosts or jolly near even now. I've only started hardening plants off last week but have to keep an eye out.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 10:53 »
I am in the SE and would love to get mine out but with night time temps still dropping to 6-8 I won't risk it yet :(

davetoddy

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 20:11 »
im in Cumbria and courgettes and cucumbers are sitting in front of me still in packet  :D

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 20:17 »
I am in the SE and would love to get mine out but with night time temps still dropping to 6-8 I won't risk it yet :(
Same here.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 20:18 »
Saying that I saw quite a few people putting them out this afternoon.....

Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 20:20 »
I just planted out two today in an old tile crate filled with manure/compost. The top is about 3 foot of the ground, so some protection there. They're just bonus plants for an early crop as my others are in the unheated greenhouse. If they die I'm not to worried. Like yours they had a massive growth spurt, so no option really.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 21:37 »
Yep, I sowed too early, again!  So put my first courgette out today under a cloche which is barely big enough.  Got more lined up with some squash ready and waiting to go out.  We are going away for 11 days at the end of the month and am desperate to get things sorted.  Why did I agree to go away at this time of year?! 😨

ptarmigan

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 07:00 »
Cheers all. Mine will stay wit home till at least next weekend, and I've just sown some back up ones.

al78

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 08:36 »
Mine are still on the windowsill just getting their first true leaves. I'm not expecting to put mine in the ground until the bank holiday weekend at the earliest. Even now there are min temps of 4C forecast for this area Tuesday night. It is looking like May this year is going to be yet another poor one.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 08:48 »
I'm in N Derbys and don't plant them out til the start of the second week of June. WE had a frosty weekend one year on 4/5th June and I was wiped out.  So, now it's the week after. They soon get going! You'll be innundated with courgettes if you wait. I don't sow beans yet either. 

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2015, 11:13 »
I've just potted mine on to 5" pots so they are staying home for a while yet.
Anne

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 13:28 »
Yep, I sowed too early, again!  So put my first courgette out today under a cloche which is barely big enough.  Got more lined up with some squash ready and waiting to go out.  We are going away for 11 days at the end of the month and am desperate to get things sorted.  Why did I agree to go away at this time of year?! 😨
Same here...holiday in 3 weeks. So everything is going out over the course of this week. Night temps shouldn't,t drop too low here, so my crops have 2 chances!!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 13:40 »
Do wait until the end of this week - it's the Ice Saints days, known for late frosts ( we have a few days with forecasts of 5/6C overnight  :ohmy: )

xx
Spuds in North West

Started by dexyblue on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 21:10
by Cheshire Phill
xx
north to south or east to west

Started by elfy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 10:52
by goodtogrow
xx
North West Planting Times?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 23:05
by John
xx
North-West Facing Garden

Started by Ginge666 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2015, 20:41
by Thrutchington

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 38 queries.