Growing in your front garden

• 34 Replies

Growster...

Re: Growing in your front garden
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 06:03 »
It's an interesting concept, Balders - we sometimes grow toms in the front, and along the side for that matter, but they have to be in pots or growbags, and sometimes get forgotten!

We always used to grow a runner bean up a trellis by the front door too, the flowers always looked great there!

Goosegirl

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 16:07 »
My children caught a 70+ woman taking bluebells from my front garden - they were only 10 or 11 so not quite sure how to handle the situation. They walked down the drive and stared at her and got shouted at for being rude.
Proper job Devonish  ;)

Pip pip,
Balders
WOT??? Shame they weren't watering them at the time and suddenly turned around to see her. "Ooops - sorry madam!" I can't believe any sane person would intrude on your property and do that!  :ohmy: :( >:( :mad:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 16:08 by Goosegirl »
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 19:40 »
Heh.  ;)
My house is on a hill, the front garden is built up and adjoins the pavement at about waist height - ideal for theivery... luckily we don't get  much of that in this locality. (keeping fingers croseed)

Think I might well plant out the sweetcorn (though nearer the house) and line the sunny side of the drive with some toms...

Pip pip,
Balders

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 21:52 »
I have two pear trees and an apple in my front, I also planted a yew hedge as a screen I just hope it has a growth spurt as the pears have fruited this year!

Not sure if the kids would want to pinch pears but maybe need to keep an eye out for old ladies!  :D

cadalot

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 09:15 »
Two apple trees that overhang a rear access path that is for the 4 houses that make up our Terrace. When we first moved in I saw a broom being used to pull down branches so the apples could be harvested. Popped my head over to find people from up the road.

Me "Can I help you, mind you looks like your helping yourself"
Neighbour " Oh sorry, the previous owner always let is help ourselves"
Me "As you can see, I'm not the previous owner, If you had knocked and asked I would have given you some, as it is I suggest you take what you have and don't come back to do it again"

The tree was then trimmed so and is maintained such that it does not overhang 

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 09:44 »
I have planted rhubarb, broad beans and lettuces in the front for the first time. I intend to surround them with flowers so that they won't get noticed too much. Broad beans have flowers, and most people won't even know what they are. I haven't seen fresh broad beans on sale for years. The rhubarb could be more of a problem to hide.

Scottish Mike

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 10:35 »
I want to have a go with some munchkin pumpkins or spinning gourds up a trellis at the front but our meagre front garden is east facing and currently covered in gravel - not sure what the soil is like underneath.

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 10:54 »
I have planted rhubarb, broad beans and lettuces in the front for the first time. I intend to surround them with flowers so that they won't get noticed too much. Broad beans have flowers, and most people won't even know what they are. I haven't seen fresh broad beans on sale for years. The rhubarb could be more of a problem to hide.

I havent had problems with my rhubarb I do get people knock and ask to buy some

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2015, 12:33 »
We have grown runner beans in large pots. In fact I might do this again this year.
It had a reaction from a few people, I can't really understand why......oh the shame....

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 19:10 »
I understood that runner beans were brought here as flowering plants by the Victorians. I don't know when they found out they are delicious with plenty of gravy.

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2015, 20:37 »
Just the best time of year for our front garden!

Some years, we get a rich pink rose and a clematis joining the wistaria here, which we think is about a hundred years old, give or take a decade...

The toms - as we decided an hour ago, will go in trays under the window on the right, probably four 'Gourmet', but maybe eight if I can find the trays...
P1110178.JPG

snowdrops

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2015, 22:25 »
That looks beautiful Growster
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2015, 12:01 »
Our house has a bay front window nearly on to the street, apart from a few feet and a low wall, and it is south facing.  Last year I did 3 big tubs with a tall cavalo nero in the middle, and 3 gartenpearle in each tub, and some nasturtiums too, the different shades of green, with the red tomatoes and variegated foliage and pretty colours of the nasturtiums, they looked good, people weren't sure what they were, and nothing got damaged or taken.

I will do it again this year, and hubby took an interest in watering and feeding, (cos it was near the house I think).

Definitely worth a go...

grendel

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2015, 12:46 »
we have 2 crowns of rhubarb, a gooseberry bush and plum tree in the front, at the moment these are accompanied by a bed of strawberries right under the kitchen window and a potato planter that is growing Garlic.
we don't usually have any bother, even though the front is only about 5m on a side growing area (we don't think the neighbours would recognise fresh vegetables and fruit)
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Growster...

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2015, 14:37 »
Thank you Snows! We love that Wistaria, although when it sheds its blossom, we get it all over the house and Mrs Growster is on the warpath most days... The leaves in Autumn are a menace as well, for the same reason!

It used to go round three sides of the house, and took absolute ages to tame, and as ladders are not my favourite items, we decided to cut it right back to this shape, which I can now prune from the ground!

There's a photo taken of it when it was rampant and barging around everywhere in the late nineteenth century, and they must have designed the 'modern' house around it!

xx
Front garden growing

Started by Elcie on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 18, 2008, 23:11
by jennyb
xx
Front Garden Growing

Started by Sophie_Chilli on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 13:07
by Sophie_Chilli
xx
front garden with veg

Started by Emma on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post October 06, 2007, 11:36
by freyaluck
xx
What to plant in a Front Garden?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 09:20
by Debbie D

Page created in 0.786 seconds with 37 queries.