Tree leaning/falling over

• 6 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Tree leaning/falling over
« on: May 05, 2015, 16:44 »
Hi everyone
In the last gales before Easter my plum tree started falling over - it was leaning at about 60 - 70 degrees to the ground and had come away from and broken the trellis it was originally attached to. We propped it up with an old cut-down fence post and all seemed well until today, now the prop has come away, and the tree is now leaning at about 45 degrees to the ground. The tree is about 6 metres tall and the trunk is about 6" in diameter at its widest part. I don't really know how old it is but it was a good size when we moved here 5 years ago.
The roots are making the ground bulge where they have been dislodged but are not visibly protruding out of the ground.
Any suggestions? Can it be saved? Should I consult a tree surgeon and if so, how much is it likely to set me back?
Rachael

snowdrops

Re: Tree leaning/falling over
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 21:58 »
I would have thought it's not salvageable to be honest :(. You could try a more substantial prop but you might only get this year out of it. I had the same thing with a small pear tree, it lasted 2 more years then fell over again.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 10:18 »
I saw a tree in a garden while I was out walking the other day and they had used the straps that come for strapping down trampolines.  They ran them from the branches to the ground.  They also had three posts around the trunk, driven into the ground and the trunk tied into each of these. 

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 18:11 »
Mmm that's an interesting idea. I haven't been able to get hold of any tree surgeons, so I'm going to try propping it up again, this time on two sides, and tied to the trellis post on the third side. If that fails then it's tree surgeon time.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 18:38 »
My neighbours managed to prop up a partially uprooted apple tree (about 8-10 feet tall) for a couple of years, and it fruited well - I think the problem is that once uprooted it's never going to be 100% stable again, especially if you can't get it back completely vertical (sadly, if it's still leaning, the better it recovers, the worse the problem as it becomes even more top heavy with fruit. :()

Although they eventually replaced it after it fell over yet again, they may well have done better with the sort of heavy duty supports you are suggesting Stangerachael.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

simonwatson

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 14:21 »
It's possible to restore a partially fallen tree, buts it's a multi-year job and simply propping it up isn't enough. It's almost certain that the roots have been damaged so the root ball will be out of scale to the canopy.

1. Stabilise the tree in it's current position
2. Dig out where any protruding roots need to go back into the ground. Cut off cleanly any damaged roots.
3. Straighten the tree to vertical and stake.
4. Back fill any holes dug out in 2 above, packing down well.
5. Reduce the size of the tree canopy. This is really important as it reduces the stress (both physical and biological) on the tree roots until the roots can recover.
6. Keep the tree well watered, just as if it were new.

3759allen

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 21:07 »
i have no experience of this but if you could get a year or two out of it being propped up could you not look into buying some root stocks and try grafting some branches onto them.

this way you get fruit for another couple of years and hopefully by time it dies you will have one or more new tree's that are is a couple of years old and well developed.

xx
Leaning apple tree

Started by yodapete on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2014, 21:09
by sunshineband
xx
onions .... leaning towards the west

Started by ally on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2013, 06:59
by ally
xx
Onions falling over

Started by johndf1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 10, 2009, 22:47
by pushrod
xx
Falling apples

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 20, 2010, 17:51
by evie2

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 37 queries.