manure

• 9 Replies

alancas

• Experienced Member
manure
« on: April 28, 2015, 16:41 »
hi to all.does anyone not use or have never used manure if so what do you use and what are the results?many thanks.

Oddpod

Re: manure
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 17:12 »
Hi
A few years ago I put manure which had aminopyralid in it on my plot, with disastrous consequences. Since then I have tried to make as much organic compost as possible, from my garden at home and from the allotment.
I grow far more leafy veg than I need, such as perpetual spinach, which regrows well and is relatively disease free. Comfrey, nettles, torn up unprinted cardboard all help to bulk it up.

However in all honesty I am still struggling to get the soil as enriched as it would have been by the application of manure, so if anyone has found an answer to this I would also be very interested to know.

LotuSeed

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 17:39 »
When I first put in my raised beds I used a mixture of topsoil and leaf compost. I think it was a 1:2 ratio. My plants all did very well. The next year I added fresh manure in the autumn. I can't really say that I saw a big difference, but the soil was still very "new" at that point. Last autumn and this spring I've added well rotted horse manure, but I won't see a big difference (if any) in production until later in the year.  My first year the plants all did well, with just topsoil and compost. I have a compost pile but can't generate enough to use on each be, so each year I add more new shop-bought compost. And in case it matters, I don't use any other type of fertilizer or feed  I'm on heavy clay soil and my beds are not lined on the bottom so plants can get their roots down as far as they'd like.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 18:41 »
I wish I could find a local farmer who has cows,
oifWngdzwCgDave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 19:22 »
The video says it all. Each year of harvest means removal of goodness from the soil, and with no addition of manure/compost, the productivity will continue to decline. You only get out of a garden what you put in.
Manure and compost are not fertilisers, but they are absolutely essential for good crop production.

The emphasis in the video was cow manure and I don't understand why. Farmers recycle their cow waste for themselves, and as for walking across a field with a bucket.... Horse manure is so much easier to bag.

Leaf mould is very time consuming and you need vast quantities. I collected 80 full bin bags of well packed leaves, and the semi- finished product a year later, just filled a ton bag (bags for bulk sand/gravel.)

LotuSeed

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 21:04 »
I'm assuming it's emphasis on cow manure is because of the abundance of cows in India. The video labels it the "Vedic" method.  Chicken, rabbit, horse, they all work well.
Ivor is right. You have to replace what you take out when you harvest. My plants did well without manure or fertilizer but the beds were new at the time. If I were to keep that up year after year I'd start to see a significant decline. This fall I'll be planting crimson clover as a cover crop. Have you looked into green manure at all?

ptarmigan

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 06:44 »
I was going to add about green manure, it really helps with soil structure which is one of the things manure foes well.  I also beg as much green waste from friends as well, so clippings, grass cuttings and old compost from containers and let borage self seed everywhere so I can make as much compost as possible.

Seaweed is probably a v good alternative if you can get loads and often. I use that a lot.

But I also pile  a load of manure (local horse stable owner drops it off at allotments free) on over winter and can see the difference. An added bonus is weed suppression.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 09:41 »
As mentioned, compost or digging in green manure are a good alternate for breaking up the soil structure and adding vegetable matter (for sandy soils, this helps to retain water) - all the right ingredients to encourage natural soil flora and fauna (worms) to flourish which digest the material to provide nutrients that plants can take up.  Neither manure or compost are really about providing immense amounts of NPK but do release a lot of essential micro nutrients that plants need for healthy growth - which is why using leaves from those plants with deep roots such as comfrey are ideal compost material as they take up nutrients that other plant roots can't reach, which break down and released into the compost.  Bear in mind that no matter what you use, during this process some of the nitrogen are taken up by the soil bacteria and fungus as they multiply but when their food source becomes scarce, they die off releasing the nitrogen back to the soil.  Another reason why digging it all in autumn is probably better than just before planting in spring.  If you want to improve the nutrition of soil, why not start up a wormery - this is more or less doing the same thing as filling up compost bins with kitchen waste but probably more efficient and a rich source.

Seaweed is probably a v good alternative if you can get loads and often. I use that a lot.

I also pile  a load of manure (local horse stable owner drops it off at allotments free) on over winter and can see the difference. An added bonus is weed suppression.

seaweed is very good

I might question the weed suppression - horse manure probably has more weed seeds than any other manure that I know of!

jambop

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 09:58 »
On the plus side I can get as much farmyard manure as I need on the minus side it always needs a bit of time before it can be used. Just had a batch delivered and would really like to use it under my leeks but am a bit worried it might be too fresh. Think I might just rotavate some into the soil though and take a chance ?

ptarmigan

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 10:03 »
You may have a point about the weed suppression/causing properties of horse manure. I've found it does help keep things under control in the raised beds though, and what is produced weed wise is quite easily hoed off...when I get round to it!

I also use mushroom compost, can get a load delivered for very little cash, which lasts all year.  And free mushrooms!

xx
Chicken Manure Pellets vs DIY Store Manure

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 14:01
by Hampshire Hog
xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Llama Manure and Manure in general

Started by Ace on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 15:09
by Ace

Page created in 0.788 seconds with 36 queries.