What do ducks eat?

• 7 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
What do ducks eat?
« on: April 25, 2015, 17:58 »
I am used to dealing with the birds, deer, rabbits and squirrels that come into the plot but now.... I popped down to drop off some bags of soil and I find 3 ducks having a good wander amongst my beds and perusing the menu. Luckily there isn't much out at the moment but is there anything specific they like I will have to cover up?

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Re: What do ducks eat?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 18:31 »
Mine love lettuce they will eat winter greens if pushed. However don't expect anything newly planted to survive as they love to rumage around in freshly cultivated soil  :ohmy:

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 18:41 »

I thought they ate  "Queem Quackers"  now where did I leave my coat? :ohmy:

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Steveharford

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 18:46 »
I know they dont eat onions as three of them waddled through my onion patch last year and didnt cause any damage. In fact they were only interested in the grassed areas so hopefully you will survive intact.

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 20:44 »
Not just a matter of what they eat, they have big feet and can stomp stuff out of existance.

Chances are it was a duck and two drakes, duck looking for a nest site and drakes looking for nookie ! :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 21:05 »
Not just a matter of what they eat, they have big feet and can stomp stuff out of existance.

Chances are it was a duck and two drakes, duck looking for a nest site and drakes looking for nookie ! :)

That is exactly what it was 8doubles  :ohmy: They had better not next on my plot - even though ducklings are cute! I will keep my eye out and cover everything for now then so they can't stomp on it! Thanks   ;)

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 23:54 »
What they were probably looking for was slugs. Ducks love slugs! They may peck a few bits, squash some and poop but they will clear your plot of slugs.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 08:35 »
Ooh I hadn't thought of that! They can wander around as much as they like then (as long as they watch where they stand)  :D

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 36 queries.