can you direct sow sweetcorn?

• 31 Replies

3759allen

« on: April 23, 2015, 18:19 »
hi.

last year i chitted them inside, then started them off in 3l pots. this year i'm thinking it may be a bit of a pain to start them in pots due to working odd hours and being able to keep an eye on them enough.

chitting worked well for me last year, so can i chit and sow direct in the the prepared ground?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: can you direct sow sweetcorn?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 18:37 »
Yes, you can sow direct - but it means waiting until the weather is properly warm, and hoping they form cobs before the weather changes in the Autumn.

If you grow a small variety Lark/Swift you stand a better chance.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 19:27 »
I tried it a few years ago and nothing came up. It does need it to be warm.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 21:08 »
started them off in 3l pots.

Presume that is 3-Litre?  If so its a big plant to start off a Sweetcorn seed in.  Mine are grown in tubes about 5" tall and 2" diameter, which is about 1/4 Litre.

No help for this year, if you aren't going to be around to water them etc., but they'd be happier in smaller containers (until planted out).

Audy70

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 21:10 »
Last year my directly sown corn did better than the ones sown indoors. I sowed them under cloches in mid-April and indoor in mid-May. This year I'm doing that same.

Truffle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 21:21 »
Last year I started mine in pots as normal, but got a very poor show. I planted what few I had out at the advised time and at the same time sowed seed directly to the grown. I actually had better results from the seed sown directly. As said before needs to be warm weather.

This years pots still show no sign of movement. Also I have never chitted.

Robster

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 21:37 »
I've never sown direct and come to that I've never chatted them either.  I should imagine that if they are sown direct and it's not too warm they could take a while to get going.  I've only ever sown them into root trainers and kept them in an incubator until they are up and then indoors until they go out mid to end May

Sparkyrog

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 21:38 »
Admittedly its agricultural ,But we started drilling 120 acres today .
I cook therefore I grow

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 21:54 »
I've never sown direct and come to that I've never chatted them either.  I should imagine that if they are sown direct and it's not too warm they could take a while to get going.  I've only ever sown them into root trainers and kept them in an incubator until they are up and then indoors until they go out mid to end May
I'm going to start mine off in root trainers, never done it before.  My question is do I leave them in there or pot them on in to bigger pots before eventually planting out?

Robster

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 21:55 »
Sparkyrog,
You'll never eat that many.
We've got 30 or so earlier and I'll do a few later

Robster

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 21:58 »
Bumblejo,
I put them out in the ground straight from the root trainers as soon as its calm weather.  it it's windy they seem to not get away very well so gentle weather and no likelihood of frost

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2015, 21:59 »
Bumblejo,
I put them out in the ground straight from the root trainers as soon as its calm weather.  it it's windy they seem to not get away very well so gentle weather and no likelihood of frost
Cheers Robster, will do that.😀

3759allen

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 22:00 »
a mixed opinion there.

are sweetcorn ok with root disturbance? if i could start them in small pots i could at least sit them in trays to help with watering.

i used big pots as i was going away on holiday for 2 weeks when they were a little too small to go outside before i went but would have out grown small pots while i was away. (they did get watered while i was away though).

it was a first year of growing corn last year and it sounded like chitting was a good idea. it did seem to help them pop up quicker so will prob do the same this year.

good input sparkyrog. i was thinking they sow direct in the fields and they don't get additional heat.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 03:53 »
are sweetcorn ok with root disturbance?

I thought they were not supposed to like root disturbance.  But I see them sold in tiny modules in the garden centre, and folk grow them in small pots, and they seem to grow OK??

I grow them in newspaper pots for minimal disturbance, but sometimes I leave them too long and the roots grow from one pot into the next, and I have to pull them apart when I plant them - even those seems to grow the same as the rest.

So I don't know any more!

it was a first year of growing corn last year and it sounded like chitting was a good idea

The seed is prone to rot, more so with the newer Supersweet varieties.  (They sometimes come coated with a fungicide to assist - don't lick your fingers after sowing!). So I think chitting can help, particularly for varieties that are prone to rotting

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 06:26 »
Mine were really treated rough last year because they had got too big for the pots, they didnt seem to bother but I lost a few hours sleep worrying about them lol

xx
Direct sown sweetcorn

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 10:10
by Livinhope
xx
what to sow direct?

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 04:36
by jay001
xx
what to direct sow now?

Started by stephent on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 07, 2013, 09:58
by Rosehip
xx
What do you sow direct?

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 07:36
by safetrade

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 38 queries.