Determining apple tree size?

• 3 Replies

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
Determining apple tree size?
« on: April 21, 2015, 23:56 »
So last year I saw an advert by Thompson & Morgan offering a free Golden Delicious apple tree with a code, you just pay the delivery. It sounded like a good idea at the time, I purchased a large pot like my other fruit trees and bought all the potting mix in anticipation of this tree arriving.

What I actually got in the mail was what I could only describe as a twig :lol: I call it my pet apple tree, because it's clearly not old enough to do anything productive but I still care for it in the hope it will grow up one day. I put it next to one of our Gala trees for comparison, a few quid more and I could have gotten a full size one :nowink:

So I noticed my pet tree is budding. It's way too small to support fruit so I was about to pluck them off, but then I realised I didn't actually know how big this thing was going to grow. I mean for all I know it's one of these.

It still has its label, but if there is a means of determining its final size from these codes; it's beyond me. I don't suppose anyone here is able to get anything from this label that may shed some light on how big this tree will grow?
IMG_20150421_133734[1].jpg
IMG_20150421_133745[1].jpg
IMG_20150421_133918[1].jpg

dmg

Re: Determining apple tree size?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 00:43 »
Hi Greyscales,
if you Google the name nak.. it takes you to a Dutch company from where the tree came the zp b2 only tells you it is free from fireblight. Unfortunately the I couldn't find any info on the actual rootstock used.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 07:42 »
If patio fruit is not contained it should reach height and spread of 2.5m (ideal conditions and looking after) as it is on dwarf rootstock http://www.thompson-morgan.com/fruit/fruit-trees/apple-and-pear-trees/T10395

GreyScales

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 19:40 »
Thank you for the help, does look like it's one of those mini things.

I couldn't imagine it supporting fruit at its current size so they're getting the snip. Cheers.

xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Apple tree and apple help...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 09:45
by SG6
xx
Apple tree

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 21:12
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.478 seconds with 37 queries.