It's bind weed season.

• 23 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: It's bind weed season.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2015, 10:59 »
Is there a better (more suited) weedkiller for it than a glyphosate based one?

Glyphosate will definitely kill it.  Needs repeat applications though, and its tricky to apply amongst other plants of course, particularly as Bindweeds tends to make an assault quite late in the Spring, by which time other plants have good foliage cover making it harder to target the Bindweed.

If it is "Next door", or seed easily arrives from surrounding countryside, then its an ongoing battle.

I use woven mulching fabric in the veg patch, and that's solved that problem.  it (and creeping buttercup) seems to survive fairly well under it (leaves are a slight-green shade of white!) but eventually it succumbs - but it isn't, for example, a solution for "cover for the winter" or even "Cover fora  month or two"

Lardman

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2015, 13:19 »
If it is "Next door", or seed easily arrives from surrounding countryside, then its an ongoing battle.

Bad planning Im afraid - I've removed all the roots and it's gone from the rest of the veg garden but it wasn't a bright idea to plant the perennials along that fence line, I should have kept it clear so I could at least dig out the roots when needed or once a season (note to anyone reading this about to do the same).

I'll keep at it with the weedkiller then.

Beekissed

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 13:29 »
Was reading about controlling bindweed and found an old US dept of ag report from 1909 on it.  Said chemicals weren't real effective, nor was trying to smother it.  They found that putting hogs in that area is pretty effective as they will root out the roots and love to feed on them.  They also stated the most successful method they have found was to plant alfalfa!  Seems like the way it grows shades the bindweed and chokes it out. 

Maybe planting alfalfa in the fall after crops are harvested?  Would make a great green manure and if it will choke out the bindweed, even better.  They say the dead bindweed adds nutrients to the soils as well. 

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 13:32 »
I've removed all the roots and it's gone from the rest of the veg garden but it wasn't a bright idea to plant the perennials along that fence line, I should have kept it clear so I could at least dig out the roots when needed or once a season (note to anyone reading this about to do the same).

Any chance you could bury a root-barrier along the boundary?

No idea if you could get it deep enough to be effective, but it might be "better than nothing"?

Dunno about "cheap" though ...

LotuSeed

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 20:33 »
We call those morning glories over here and we like them!  Will plant them intentionally.  I love to see them climbing up the sweet corn. 

I'll trade you some bindweed for some of my chocolate mint...talk about a monster!   :nowink:

I didn't realize bindweed = morning glories omg. 😆 I didn't plant them, but there are some that grow along the fence line near my raised beds. 

I have chocolate mint and am considering planting some on the shady hill in our yard to see if it will smother the winter creeper. (I doubt it will though)

I'd trade bindweed for air potato vines any day. Any takers? Lol
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 22:41 by LotuSeed »
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 21:00 »
I was asking the other day about ideas for covering my fences with a nice evergreen climber that wont cost me £15 a plant.

Among the answers were Russian Vine aka "Mile a Minute" and of course "just let your bindweed grow up (no and not evergreen anyway!) Also had Morning Glory (although I do have some seeds of several varieties - not sure why)

Needless to say, these were not my neighbouring plot holders :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

LotuSeed

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2015, 22:48 »
I was asking the other day about ideas for covering my fences with a nice evergreen climber that wont cost me £15 a plant.

Among the answers were Russian Vine aka "Mile a Minute" and of course "just let your bindweed grow up (no and not evergreen anyway!) Also had Morning Glory (although I do have some seeds of several varieties - not sure why)

Needless to say, these were not my neighbouring plot holders :D

Oh dear. We have Mile a minute in the yard as well 😓. Every invasive vining plant you can think of, we've got itt! The park across the street from us was engulfed in kudzu two summers ago 🙀 terrible stuff.

Winter creeper is a vining evergreen, but I wouldn't suggest planting it 😣

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2015, 23:15 »
I saw winter creeper too. I guess I'll just carry on bring a nice (cheapskate)  plotholder  :wub:

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 15:46 »
Thunder and lightning with heavy hailstones here at the moment, which will ruin my lettuce, but won't kill off the blasted Bindweed. >:( I do find it theraputic to dig out the roots and see them shrivel up in the sun if any. However Hertfordshire sits on top of clay and flint and this is where the permanent roots are lying there laughing at me. It is most annoying to see the new Bindweed shoots come up in between rows of veggies.
How I get round this is to train them up inside plastic bottles with the bottoms cut off, when they reach the top a good spray with Roundup into the bottle neck kills them off and stops any spray drifting onto my crop. I know I will never eradicate it completely, but this combination seems to work for me as there is not so much around now.
I just grin and bear the comments from fellow plotholders about the new shiny 'plants' I have. :D
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

xx
Bind Weed

Started by Buzzy bee on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 21:13
by Parsnip
xx
Bind weed

Started by jo.power on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2007, 18:00
by Aunt Sally
xx
Bind Weed

Started by Lari on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 17:24
by gremlin
xx
i'm growing bind weed

Started by like diggingk on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 04, 2012, 00:51
by ulsterfairy

Page created in 0.814 seconds with 36 queries.