Strawberry variety

• 8 Replies

JaniceB

• Fighting clay and rabbits
Strawberry variety
« on: April 20, 2015, 17:53 »
I want to establish a strawberry bed this year. If I haven't left it too late, which variety of strawberry would you recommend for summer fruiting on clay soil?

moose

• Experienced Member
Re: Strawberry variety
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 19:26 »
D.T. Brown are selling off their strawberries now, you may be in time to get a bargain.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 21:35 »
Not sure about the clay soil but the strawberries with the most amazing flavour I have tasted are Gariguette and Mara de Bois.  Warm from the plant and the taste is bliss.

I have had some Cambridge favourite and another old, the name escapes me at the moment, and they weren't a patch on the Gariguette and Mara de Bois.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 13:30 »
I recently got some "Elegance" strawberries from DTB for my raised new strawberry bed because they are supposed to be a firm but juicy berry and I thought they sounded ok. I garden on heavy silt soil hence the raised bed and am hoping for good results.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 23:03 »
I have Gariguette  :tongue2:      I like Ostara which was cheap as chips from Wilko. It's a late one though.

Middlesexbloke

• Experienced Member
  • Always learning...usually the hard way!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 23:07 »
I'll second the earlier suggestion of Gariguette and Mara de Bois. Both are French varieties, delicious and grow well on clay, although Gariguette isn't as heavy a cropper like some of the newer varieties. Taste makes up for it though! Marshmello was great last year too, this year I've added a few Royal Sovereign to see what they're like.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 23:09 »
I got some Buddy everbearing strawbs last year from Marshalls and they've done really well on our clay soil. I did dig a fair bit of compost in though. Tastewise they are excellent, very pronounced strawberry flavour, nice big berries and good and sweet.

They're already flowering and stopped flowering around October last year. We were a little naughty and didn't pick off the flowers in their first year and they've still done really well.  :tongue2:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 13:28 »
I have about 6 varieties from Earliest to Late to spread the cropping season. I did buy some Everbearers too, but although they produced all season long they never produced enough that we could have a family meal from them, let alone enough when we had guests ...

I took runners off the plants in year one and used them to increase my stock.  I suppose I have about 18 plants of each variety now. (I planted them with "space inbetween" for the extra ones.

I planted them in fruiting order, so I can move the netting along after the flowers finish, and before the berries are ripe, to keep the birds off.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 13:46 »
Between Gariguette and Marie de Bois, which would you recommend to grow for the best taste? I have never grown the French ones and wonder if they would do well in the colder north where I am.

xx
Strawberry Variety

Started by Glosterboy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 10:10
by Goosegirl
xx
What's your favourite strawberry variety?

Started by Baldy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 19:25
by Baldy
xx
Recommend me a strawberry variety please

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 23:26
by viettaclark
xx
Please recommend a strawberry variety

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post February 01, 2023, 14:40
by Ivor Backache

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 37 queries.