Chickpeas

• 2 Replies

Allotment Jon

Chickpeas
« on: April 12, 2015, 13:22 »
I purchased a pack of Chickpea seeds from my local garden centre recently. They appear to be from Italy and are called Eden Project Chickpea Principe.

I was not sure about growing in the UK so put 4 in pots on the window sill. Within a week the plants are about 2-3 inch high and look fine.

Was wondering if any one else has grown them in our climate as would be a shame to plant out in a month or so to loose them to our weather.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 13:53 by Allotment Jon »

Mrs Bee

Re: Chickpeas
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 20:25 »
I haven't grown them before but have got a packet on order after reading James Wong's Grow for Flavour.

According to James the variety Principe perform well in temperate conditions, is drought tolerant, hardy and undemanding. They will produce hummocks of knee high feathery foliage followed by masses of small pods in mid to late summer.

He also gives cooking ideas for them too. Harvest green and eat cooked in the pods.

So we are on an adventure with these plants and will see if James is correct about them. ;) :D

Ema

Re: Chickpeas
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 21:18 »
I have a packet I haven't down. When I researched growing chickpeas I read the leaves are very irritating which put me off

xx
Chickpeas?

Started by EarthyJim on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 05:52
by gobs
xx
Anyone tried growing chickpeas

Started by sloegin on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 13, 2010, 14:21
by prakash_mib

Page created in 0.412 seconds with 36 queries.