Dilema - when to paint shed?

• 5 Replies

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
Dilema - when to paint shed?
« on: April 12, 2015, 10:58 »
Hi, firstly apologies if this is the wrong place to post, I couldn't find a wildlife gardening section!

OK, I attached bird boxes to my allotment shed a month or two ago, there appears to be activity and moss has been taken inside 3 of them tho no actual nesting yet - I want to encourage nesting. I think it's only blue tits so far.

I also want to paint my shed, I acquired it with my plot last year and it's needing some tlc to make sure it's serviceable for a while yet.  I have re-roofed it, tho that might need some stronger fasteners. I was waiting for the wood to dry out from winter before painting.

So, how long will I have to wait before the birds are finished nesting (if they do), I think I read somewhere that birds often have more than one brood in a season.

Any experienced blue tit wardens on here!?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Dilema - when to paint shed?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 18:59 »
Great tits and blue tits have one brood per season. They have the young with them for a little while after they have fledged, but you should be safe from about mid-August if I remember rightly.

Headgardener22

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 08:06 »
Our bluetits fledge around the end of May. However, its obvious when they're gone. Just sit and listen for a few minutes.

madcat

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 12:55 »
A problem I know only too well with the house - there are bluetits and sparrows in boxes and more behind the soffits ... great tits and marsh tits for sure ... Oh and the bats that come in for the summer.   We have to wait till August for the outside of the house to be painted, when it is too hot (we hope!) so it will be September and here's hoping the weather wont break too early!

Dont forget to clean the nesting boxes out in the autumn so they are ready for the following spring/roosting in the cold winter nights.   :nowink:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 13:58 »
Best time to paint any outdoor wood is when you've had a good dry spell so the wood can blot it up really well.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 16:31 »
The bluetits here had two broods last year.

It'll be obvious if the boxes are still in use from the noise/lack of noise, so you can go for the painting then.

What a lovely "problem" to have  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Dahlia Dilema

Started by casper on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 19:12
by casper
xx
Paint for a planter

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2019, 08:11
by wighty
xx
Paint for plastic pots

Started by Goosegirl on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 18:55
by spottymint
xx
Pruning Wound Paint - it is necessary?

Started by barbarella on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 07:26
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 36 queries.