Fruit

• 6 Replies

Nufan182

Fruit
« on: April 07, 2015, 09:04 »
Good morning all,

I trust everyone had a good and productive Easter weekend?

I have acquired another plot which is directly next to mine. It means giving up my second plot on the same site which has my raspberries, blackcurrant, strawberries and gooseberries on.

My question is if can I transplant them all now?

I do not overly mind leaving them for the new plot holder to have; One would assume they would not mind sharing the crops of this season.

Conversely, is it too late to buy all new fruits mentioned above and plant them out to get a crop this season?

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,

Nufan
An allotment newbie. I love my allotment, I am not sure it feels the same about me :)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Fruit
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:44 »
You don't say how old the bushes are. If you move them, to give them a chance of establishing a decent root system you should probably pick off most if not all the flowers so their energy isn't spent on fruit. Make sure you prep the ground well and keep them watered while they establish again. If you buy plants, and there are lots of 2-year old potted plants available online, you probably won't get much fruit anyway in the first year, if any.

Strawberries should cope fine with being shifted, don't have any experience of raspberries yet.

To be honest I'd probably chance their survival and shift the lot, but quickly as everything's starting to grow.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 10:29 »
Morning

If it was me I would shift them. It is a touch late but they should be back in full swing next year. I would reduce the top growth as well just so they are not using up loads of energy trying to keep the top growth going, as well as new growth and re-establishing root growth and possibly fruit - it will just make for a weaker plant in later years.
I think in regards to new tenants usually they like a clean slate/ no attachments regardless of good intentions as quite often it causes friction.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 10:43 »
As they are your plants you should be entitled to move them; however, if you know the new plot holder you could always ask them if they want them so as to avoid any problems. As said, it depends on how old and big they are and the effort in moving them successfully may be more than just getting new ones.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 20:36 »
I am sure you can get away with moving them this early in the season though you will impact this years crop certainly early fruiting would be impacted perhaps ok if they crop in the autumn. As others say probably worth checking the new plot holders views on this. I would say technically the ownership would transfer based on the dates of payment of plot rent and start of rental year. Mind you based on my experience of raspberries the new plot holder will still have some runners pop up even if you take all the plants you can see.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 21:13 »
I would say transplant. I've just shifted a bed of raspberries and sorted out my strawberry bed. My blackcurrants are not yet in full leaf and no flowers to be seen, the same  applies with all of my fruit bushes other than the honeyberry bushes which are in flower.

I wouldn't pay for more fruit bushes when I could replant the ones I already have. You may risk a smaller yield this year but sometimes with raspberries and blackcurrants in my experience that's not a bad thing!   :lol:

I'm assuming that the new plot holder is not yet in possession of your old plot? If someone else is now working it I would think that you would now need their permission to take the fruit bushes. On my allotments anything that's left behind becomes the property of the new plot holder. Sheds, greenhouses etc included.

LotuSeed

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 00:13 »
I'd move them, especially since it's still quite early in the season. For bushes I'd take as much of the root ball (and then some) if possible. Might be a good idea to dig the holes for their new homes prior to digging them up so as to try and reduce transplant shock as much as possible. (Also might be a good idea to refill the soil where you dug them up.) I wouldn't count on the new owner being amenable to sharing in the fruits of your labor, but that's just my opinion! 😜 Happy digging!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 36 queries.