Garlic

• 16 Replies

colin120

• Experienced Member
Garlic
« on: April 06, 2015, 17:46 »
Hi all
       My garlic I planted in Nov most of the leaves are turning yellow already by June when they are ready there will be no green leaves left, thought they had to be half yellow half green and nearly falling over when its time to take them up.

Not happy with my winter onions planted 100 and have only got seven left, onion's and garlic are next to each other
Garlic (640x479).jpg
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 17:47 by colin120 »

Sparkyrog

Re: Garlic
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 17:49 »
They look a little close together to me I would try a feed .
I cook therefore I grow

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 18:33 »
Out of interest sparky what would you feel them?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 19:05 »

Curse that predictive text!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Sparkyrog

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 21:20 »

Curse that predictive text!
lol

growmore or bfb

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 21:42 »
Haha! Ipad has been very bad for that today  :mad:

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 11:42 »
Hi all
       My garlic I planted in Nov most of the leaves are turning yellow already by June when they are ready there will be no green leaves left, thought they had to be half yellow half green and nearly falling over when its time to take them up.

Not happy with my winter onions planted 100 and have only got seven left, onion's and garlic are next to each other

Garlic ready for lifting look completely different.  I'm not convinced of the fertilizer suggestion as some of the good leaves are okay but a top dressing about now is not a bad suggestion to boost the nitrogen levels for growing.  Something else might be the problem.

Have you (1) had a very wet weather (2) had a mild winter?  Yellowing on leaf tips is usually indicative of the roots sitting in very wet soil, but whole leaves are a little more worrying and especially with such large onion losses, I'm wondering if there is something like onion white rot?  If you don't mind sacrificing one of the plants, lift up one of the worst of the yellowing garlic and check the roots and bulb.  It will look very obvious if you have a problem.

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 21:49 »
Hi all

Garlic ready for lifting look completely different.  I'm not convinced of the fertilizer suggestion as some of the good leaves are okay but a top dressing about now is not a bad suggestion to boost the nitrogen levels for growing.  Something else might be the problem.

Have you (1) had a very wet weather (2) had a mild winter?  Yellowing on leaf tips is usually indicative of the roots sitting in very wet soil, but whole leaves are a little more worrying and especially with such large onion losses, I'm wondering if there is something like onion white rot?  If you don't mind sacrificing one of the plants, lift up one of the worst of the yellowing garlic and check the roots and bulb.  It will look very obvious if you have a problem.

Thank you BabbyAnn
 A sensible reply back, I will lift one of the garlics tomorrow and have a look, as for the onions  I spoke to someone two plots down he said he planted 50 onion's and only got a handful.

Been told not many people plant winter onion's on our allotment as a lot of the plots get flooded over winter. so they plant summer onion's   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 21:52 by colin120 »

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 19:27 »
Pulled up a garlic plant today to have a look at them roots look ok small brown ring at the end of the garlic bulb  just before the roots  attached pic
garlic 77.jpg

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 20:07 »
I've had a similar, if not identical problem. I planted my garlic out last October and I've noticed a few were stunted and turning yellow. I lifted all the affected plants and found the stem and roots the same as you. Hardly any bulb at all and the stems were slimy. As I said, only a few plants were affected and all the rest seem fine.
I bought my garlic from the Really Garlicky company and I returned the first lot I received from them, but to be honest, the replacements weren't up to the usual standard. I believe the losses I've had were caused by diseased cloves.
Is it possible your garlic was diseased prior to planting?

Sparkyrog

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 21:15 »
I've had a similar, if not identical problem. I planted my garlic out last October and I've noticed a few were stunted and turning yellow. I lifted all the affected plants and found the stem and roots the same as you. Hardly any bulb at all and the stems were slimy. As I said, only a few plants were affected and all the rest seem fine.
I bought my garlic from the Really Garlicky company and I returned the first lot I received from them, but to be honest, the replacements weren't up to the usual standard. I believe the losses I've had were caused by diseased cloves.
Is it possible your garlic was diseased prior to planting?

The worry with that is it may now be in the soil ! A strongly worded email may be required ?

LotuSeed

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 23:06 »
Pulled up a garlic plant today to have a look at them roots look ok small brown ring at the end of the garlic bulb  just before the roots  attached pic

I planted my garlic last October. We've had a fair amount of frosts and considerable snow and even with all that moisture none of my garlic looks like that. I've had a few that succumbed to the wetness, they were slimy and there was no bulb growth (too early for that yet) , but none of the few that started to rot had that dark ring around it like in your picture.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 14:52 by LotuSeed »
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

BabbyAnn

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 06:48 »
At a guess, nematodes and/or eelworms may be the problem  :(  They could have come on the bulbs but the soil itself may already have been infested as they can migrate from other host plants especially in wet conditions

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 14:06 »
It wont be from other plants, as I never planted anything there last year, I dug that area up about  4 months prior  planting by garlic.

When I pulled up the garlic yesterday I checked the roots and the soil the was no worms or white eggs around the plant., I also added some Liquid Fertilizer around the garlic to see if that helps.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 22:38 »
My Garlic is also looking worse for wear this year (one variety worse than the other). I pulled one and although a bit small I would have thought the size normal for the time of year. I have given them a feed of BFB around 10 days ago before this thread came up. Should I do anything else do you think?

xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
Garlic

Started by kiwinicks on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 21:52
by kiwinicks

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 36 queries.