First and Last Frost Dates

• 7 Replies

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
First and Last Frost Dates
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:58 »
A little while back I stumbled upon these two detailed interactive maps that I found useful for planning my sowing/harvesting/seed saving etc:

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-united-kingdom-first-frost-date-map.php
http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive-united-kingdom-last-frost-date-map.php

Other countries are also listed if you have a look around.

I have struggled with other sites as the 'nearby towns' thing was't accurate enough - they weren't that nearby to me and the nearest towns had different dates to each other - I guess due to the geography of my region.

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but hope it helps some folks. Do take with a pinch of caution as the are average and you may well be surprised from year to year.

solway cropper

Re: First and Last Frost Dates
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 23:01 »
I think experience over many years is the only answer and then it's only a part answer. We once had -8 here in May and other years the last frost has been in March so you really can't go by 'average' dates. Soil temperature is probably more important as sowing into cold soil can result in poor or zero germination. I always have plenty of fleece handy to cover tender crops if frost threatens.

Christine

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 18:52 »
Snap solway cropper.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 06:18 »
I trust these last frosts dates about as far as I can throw them. I still have bitter memories of June frosts a few years back, yet my last date is suppose to be 20th April. I can usually expect a couple in May.

I'd give them a very wide berth!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 06:33 »
Guidance is good but you just need to adjust it based on history once you have recorded some

Last Frost date UK map from http://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/adjust-dates-uk.php

Planting Dates Based on Last Frost Date: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/e-pdgseedstart.aspx
last Frost Date Map-uk.gif
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 06:35 by cadalot »

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 09:28 »
I hoped it would help those of us that didn't have years of experience to rely on; a guide to when to sow seeds and when crops may be harvestable to in the year.

It's helped me plan anyways, tho a gardener should always be watching the local forecast.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 10:56 »
At any time, a forecast overnight low of around 4C or less, with clear skies and no wind presents a risk of a ground frost - in frost pockets (usually low-lying, sheltered parts of hilly areas) it could happen even at a few degrees above that figure.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

3759allen

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 17:29 »
every season seems to be different these days.

i would say if you want to start early and take a risk it may be worth sowing back up plants while the first are growing.  seeds are pretty cheap, and if you don't need the back ups you could sell/ swap/ give them once your confident there will be no more frosts.

or just play it safe and start a bit later.

xx
Last frost dates.

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 10, 2010, 10:03
by Trikidiki
xx
Last frost dates

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 10, 2013, 08:46
by ryetek
xx
spuds planting dates?

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 10:07
by Plottered
xx
Latest sowing dates for sweetcorn?

Started by Middlesexbloke on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 15:25
by Middlesexbloke

Page created in 0.723 seconds with 38 queries.