Growing longer leeks

• 29 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Growing longer leeks
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 11:49 »
I grow musselburgh, which are shorter and fatter, but last year I also grew Bulgarian giant, which are much longer, but thinner.  This year I am also trying Blue de solaise which they says grows to around 18 inches.

In fact, I've just looked up Bulgarian giant and it says they only grow to around 11.5 inches.  Mine were taller than that!
My Dad used to wrap newspaper around each leek to get them whiter, but I can't be asked to do that.  I don't mind the greeny bits either.  It's the same leek isn't it?    ;)

Goosegirl

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 12:13 »
Having grown Musselberg in the past and tried other varieties, I now grow Autumn Mammoth 2 (a.k.a. Tornado) and, apart from them being very tasty, they seem to get a longish white shank without any earthing up (yes - soil can get between their leaves) or covering their stems. I once tried loo rolls and they just unravelled!  :(
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 13:07 »
I'm not really bothered about having White leek over green (plus I can't imagine doing it for them amount I grow - too much faff!) but that  doesn't really increase the length of the stem overall.
I think:

Sticking a collar over them will make them taller, as no light getting to the bottom of the plant otherwise, genetics apart, the plant will think it is doing fine with the leaf it has and not race to stretch taller to make more leaves.

But, yeah, if you have 100's its not a very viable solution! Maybe try collars on a few out of curiosity? (its one of my New Years Resolutions every year, never remembered to do it though!!)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 13:08 by Kristen »

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 14:52 »
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5-9_3FX_hKc/UnSoOzRMscI/AAAAAAAABtM/VuMFZy_ySkw/s320/pumpkins%252Cbuilding%252C+008.JPG

These were our leeks from the first year, as you can see some were very long but thin. I bought seedlings at the market so presumably they are Bulgarian Giant....being in Bulgaria :lol:

Sorry about the pic, I tried to take it from the blog
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 14:55 by tosca100 »

Nobbie

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 15:58 »
I wonder if earthing up is more likely to introduce some soil into the leaf joints, which will then taste gritty when eaten?

I've not done it, but always mean to, but what about dropping a loo roll over each one, a bit later in the season, to blanch it?

I did this and it worked well this year. I planted them into deep holes and when they had made plenty of top growth I popped the tube over them.

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 17:16 »
I reckon that the length of the shank isn't as important as the girth of the white bit, to be honest.

The 'Bandit' we grew this (last year), have proved to be a very fat leek, and nearer a pot leek than before, with a 2" diameter shank, but only about 6" long maximum.

So assuming I can be 'arsked' to work out the volume of the blanched bit, we reckon that they are fleshier anyway, and the outer leaves don't dry out and fall off...

Oh alright then - 6" x 1" x 1" X 3.142 = 18.852 cubic inches of blanched leek...

;0)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 09:46 »
I reckon that the length of the shank isn't as important as the girth of the white bit

I've always assumed that skinnier were sweeter - but I've never grown fat-shaft ones, so the only comparison I've had is between mine and shop-bought - which is probably not representative!

Goosegirl

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 10:39 »
Actually, Growster makes a good point about their diameter as you always have to strip off some of the outer skin and we also find they are more tender.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 16:56 »
Actually, Growster makes a good point about their diameter as you always have to strip off some of the outer skin and we also find they are more tender.

Just to be clear: you find the fatter ones more tender?

if so I'm going to have to grow some, as I've never tried growing them :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 18:24 »

Do you? I don't - I just give them a good wash!

Growster...

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 20:22 »
Interesting points!

We had only 180 leeks going this last season, and I reckoned they wouldn't be enough, so it was a desperate feeding programme of nettle, comfrey, Miracle-Gro and anything which might have done them some good (they were in well manured beds), and it was ever thus!

They have definitely been more fleshy, and with big thick leaves, so this coming year, we'll try harder and grow them with less anxiety - i.e. sow two packets, bring on the bigguns, and eat the titches as spring onions, or scallions!

Problem solved!

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 22:30 »
I did leeks for the first time last year and they was rubbish a big let down lol they was more like spring onion's they was really thin and not very long.

A German plot holder cuts all the green off to near the base he says that makes them grow thicker  as  the leek cant put any energy into growing the green leafs   

Goosegirl

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2015, 13:02 »

Do you? I don't - I just give them a good wash!
My OH does the cooking and always strips the outer skin from the shank to remove any blemished ones, then he does what you do. 

gypsy

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 18:45 »
One yr I put bits of cut off drain pipe over my leeks thinking it would give me more white stem but it was not a good idea as the slugs loved to go into the pipe.
Catherine

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 19:39 »
The Autumn Mammoth and Autumn Giant that I grew this year are quite a lot longer than the Musselburgh which I grew last year, so it does seem to be down to the variety.
Anne

xx
growing leeks

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2020, 10:30
by New shoot
xx
Will leeks keep growing?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 14:12
by Aidy
xx
Growing Leeks

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post April 10, 2024, 07:51
by Snow
xx
Leeks not growing?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 11:29
by sunshineband

Page created in 1.222 seconds with 38 queries.