Growing longer leeks

• 29 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Growing longer leeks
« on: April 05, 2015, 18:59 »
I always manage to get nice thick leeks (using DDs cat litter tray method!) but I struggle with the length compared to shop bought ones. When I plant them out I do dib a hole and put them in that but I find that I don't get much 'stalk' before the leaves start growing so I probably only get 6 inches of usable leek per plant (And I wouldn't mind white or green).

What else can I do this year to increase the length of my leeks?

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Growing longer leeks
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 19:07 »
What variety do you grow? Some are meant to be short and fat and some are longer and thinner...it might just be that you're growing a short/fat variety.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 19:10 »
Ah, that would make sense! I didn't think about variety making a difference. I have no idea what variety I am currently eating. I have just sowed some Musselburgh for this year (50p wyevale sale) so I will see how they perform

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 20:00 »
I would also add be brave, when I watched Monty plant leeks on GW last year he left hardly anything above ground. Up till then I'd been leaving a lot more than that. I got much better leeks this year as a result. I've still got a long way to go before I get leeks I can be proud of, but planting them deeper was definitely a step in the right direction.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 20:07 »
I'm intending making a bit of a trench then dribbling the holes,drop the leek in,then as they grow earth them up to blanch them,well that's the plan,thought about it before but didn't get round to it. Plus I thought it would be easier to water the trench after the initial watering down the hole.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 20:12 »
Some good tips there thanks. I like the trench idea - and I probably do need to be braver depth wise!

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 07:18 »
You should be OK with an 8" dibbled hole, RJR, and Musselburgh are a thicker type of leek, so you'll get some 'diameter' as well! They don't really go much beyond February though, in our experience.

Also, we find that leeks respond very well to some liquid feed every week, poured around the soil surface, not into the leaf folds, as they get a bit mucky that way...

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 07:28 »
They don't really go much beyond February though, in our experience

That's fine by me - I am sick of leeks by this point of the year!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 07:39 »
They don't really go much beyond February though, in our experience

That's fine by me - I am sick of leeks by this point of the year!

Same here, RJR, we really have had enough, and there's still half a gallon of soup in the freezer..;0)

Bombus

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 07:49 »
I have seen some on our site Hill them up a bit as they grow. Nothing like the amount of soil used hilling Potatoes. I may give it a go myself with a couple of rows.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 08:30 »
I've seen people earth them up on my friend's site - also using some short  tubing over the plants when they are a bit bigger, presumably to get more white bit?

I grow Zermatt, which is a long thin-ish leek.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 09:25 »
I wonder if earthing up is more likely to introduce some soil into the leaf joints, which will then taste gritty when eaten?

I've not done it, but always mean to, but what about dropping a loo roll over each one, a bit later in the season, to blanch it?

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 09:49 »
I know you can drop pipe etc over them to blanch them but I'm not really bothered about having White leek over green (plus I can't imagine doing it for them amount I grow - too much faff!) but that  doesn't really increase the length of the stem overall. I think white rabbit has probably got it right in terms of it depends on the variety so I will pay more attention to the varieties I grow over the next few years and see what works

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 11:02 »
Thanks for the tips on here folks, I sowed my leeks two days ago, this is my first year growing them so good timing for me!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 11:46 »
I would have thought that it would be down to variety. Here in BG the leeks are very long and with a small girth. When they are growing the locals keep nipping the tops of the leaves off, but I think this is to stop rock as they grow tall. When we harvest it is not unusual for the white (pale green) bit to be three feet long, even last year when I didn't nip the tops out as the ground seemed to be permanently boggy so we stayed off it. It must be down to variety.

By the way, they are stored in the cellar and can still be found in the local market, though looking rather tired. Might keep a couple to try that next year. I have 'British'ones this year as well so it will be interesting to see how they do.

xx
Growing Leeks

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 31, 2009, 20:44
by janette
xx
Will leeks keep growing?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 12, 2011, 14:12
by Aidy
xx
growing leeks

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2020, 10:30
by New shoot
xx
growing leeks

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 21:27
by WG.

Page created in 0.399 seconds with 38 queries.