not again

• 21 Replies

meterman

• Experienced Member
not again
« on: April 03, 2015, 23:21 »
After many years of growing to many toms 57 plants 1 year i decided a few years past to limit my toms to 10 -12 plants this year 10 varieties 60 + plants i must be mad i don't even eat toms, does anybody else do the same with there veg

LotuSeed

Re: not again
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 23:36 »
Absolutely. My eyeballs are much much bigger than my available gardening space. It seems I'll never learn though!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 06:17 »
Don't worry, Meterman, you're not alone - last year we had seventy-two, and this year there will be about ninety...

I really work on the principle that if we get blight, that at least a few may escape, and therefore we get a crop, however depleted! Also, we're growing more down on the allotment because the soil is much improved now, and I think that they just might like getting their paws into loads of muck, as opposed to the pots of compost we use at home, in the greenhouse!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 06:24 »
I didn't buy any this year, just got a couple of new varieties from the Heritage Seed Library and thought I just use up a few old seed that were kicking around for the unheated greenhouse and outdoors.

However, that turned out to be 16 varieties with 6 seed each. Add that to the 12 Shirley and 3 heritage plants I'd already got going for the heated greenhouse, that's turned out to be 111 I've sown. I'll no doubt be rooting side shoots as well!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:34 »
We'll have six 'Black Krim' in our lot, DD, thanks to you and the seed you popped in the post a couple of years ago!

They're the ones which I think will like to grow in the big open spaces, next to some 'Marmande'!

Robster

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 07:10 »
Meterman, That does sound rather a lot!  I always think that tomato gluts are easily processed though if you are lucky enough to get them all through the blight. I think runner beans were my failing last year.  I definitely grew too many.  We still have blanched beans in the freezer and they are definitely past their best.  I'll be chucking them soon.

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 08:16 »
Ditto that Robster!
I have six plants, 2 varieties and that is it!! Limiting myself this year as I now have a greenhouse to grow them in and we are using the old tomato border at home for other things :)

Mrs Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 09:00 »
I am exactly the same I have about 80 seedlings of 5 varieties growing away and some plug plants on order for 7 more varieties.

And that is less than I grew last year. :wub:

Not a bad thing though as I give loads away to other allotmenteers who don't have facilities to grow them  and family and friends you aren't good with seeds but like to grow tomatoes. We do love tomatoes though.

And yes I do the same with the other veg too. But they are never wasted as our allotment neighbour travels on his bike and can't do seedlings so he is always happy to get our spares especially the celeriac, which is just as well as I have about 100 of them growing away. :wub:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 09:07 »
I thought I'd try 12 varieties this year, and I wasn't expecting them all to germinate - but they nearly all have! 34 seedlings! Am having to heath robinson a second seedling shelf in the bedroom...

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 09:17 »
I thought I'd try 12 varieties this year, and I wasn't expecting them all to germinate - but they nearly all have! 34 seedlings! Am having to heath robinson a second seedling shelf in the bedroom...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There is no hope for any of us really is there?  :lol:

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 11:23 »
Guilty as charged m,Lord!  ::)

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2015, 11:29 »
I suppose I ought to join the club. My seedaholic side has recently returned and instead of 5 or 6 tom varieties I am growing over 20. I do actually like toms so not too bad. I shall just leave my confession on toms for now  :blush:

plum crumble

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 11:42 »
well of course!

silly  :nowink:

only got 6 varieties on the go, and waiting to see if any of the freebies from BBC GW arrive - better come soon!!! ::)
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 12:21 »
Wow!!! I am an amateur compared with you lot! I have about 30 plants with only 5 varieties. Next year when I get the whole of my polytunnel to play in might be different. (OH is storing tools until his new shed gets built).  Veg plants on the other hand.............
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2015, 13:21 »
Hope my maths is working. Two grow bags with three tomatoes in each bag. To date 7 seedlings germinated out of 10 seeds sitting on a window ledge . Assuming I keep them alive that's all I need I think ???

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Page created in 0.705 seconds with 38 queries.