Fig-lings

• 9 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Fig-lings
« on: April 02, 2015, 11:16 »
A few weeks ago I got some fig tree off-cuts, cut them into 9 30cm lengths and put them in a big pot with a clear bag over the top. At that point they just looked like dead twigs.

I've had them inside in a bright room and they are now ALL showing green top growth. (whooop!!!)

Has anyone done this and have any tips for what to do next so I don't undo all the cuttings' good work in actually growing through fumble-fingeredness?

Goosegirl

Re: Fig-lings
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 12:15 »
Looking in my RHS book for fig propagation, it says "take hardwood cuttings in autumn and put them in a trench then, when they root, leave them to develop until the end of the following growing season when they can be transplanted into their final positions." As yours are now leafing up, see if any roots are showing through the bottom of the pots. If there are, just pot them on into bigger pots; if not, you could risk taking one out to have a look or just leave them until later.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:50 »
I suspect they are coming into leaf the same as they would if they were in a vase, rather than it being a sign of rooting as I would expect, particularly at this time of the year, that would take longer than a few weeks.

but at least they are still alive thus far :)

jambop

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 12:50 »
Not gloating but these things grow like weeds down here :) I have two in the garden that are quite large now we try to eat them up but you always get a glut and wheel barrows load get wasted... the birds eat a lot too so it is not all waste.

surbie100

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 20:18 »
I'm very envious jambop. OH's father has huge fig trees and pomegranates in his garden and we try and time our visits to Italy for one or the other being ready.

These are the instructions I have so far followed. I'm just a bit suspicious of it really being this easy....

Rooting Figs Indoors
The third method of fig propagation is about how to start a fig tree indoors. This method is good for an early start if your spring weather is unsettled. Follow the method above for taking fig cuttings. Line the bottom of a six-inch pot with newspaper and add two inches of sand or potting soil. Stand four of your treated cuttings upright in the pot and fill around them with soil. Water the pot thoroughly and place a two liter bottle with the bottom cut off over the cuttings.

Keep the fig cuttings warm and in a bright (not direct sun) window. Don’t water unless the soil becomes very dry. Wait a week after you see new growth to remove the makeshift greenhouse.

When you see vigorous growth, plant your rooted fig cuttings in larger pots or outdoors when the weather allows. Keep the transplants moist for the rest of the summer and watch them grow.

As you can see, how to propagate fig trees is a simple process and when done properly, is a satisfying and economical experience. Happy eating!

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 21:13 »
Don't be misled by the top growth, that bud was waiting to break, I found it took far longer for the roots to grow, patience is a virtue :lol:, I did some a few years ago & managed 9 successful ones  :lol: I potted mine around the outside of a tall pot in gritty compost & left them in a sheltered spot for a year.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jambop

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 21:43 »
surbie we love the figs straight from the tree with yoghurt and honey for breakfast or as sweet after dinner... keeps you reg :) but would like to do more so this year I will try to look up a bit of what to do on the internet see what can be done to preserve them... jam ... not good IMO.
not that it is of consequence to this particular thread I find a lot if self rooted layers with our two then it is just a case of digging it out and palnting.
re rooting what I have heard done is this, again difficult if you don't have access to the material.
Take 12" long hard wood cuttings in the autumn and wrap the bottom 6" in damp tissue paper and them put in a plastic bag. Put them in the fridge (salad crisper) and leave then for the winter in the spring take them out into a warm airing cupboard and they will then throw out roots !! ?? after the roots are seen pot up... its that simple :)

surbie100

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 23:15 »
Snowy, this is why I thought I needed to be suspicious! Thanks v much. I guess 'vigorous growth' means more than 2 leaves on each so I'll leave them a lot longer before taking the bag off and hopefully will get at least the 2 I need.

Jambop - I kinda had to go with what I could as the fig twigs came in March.  I figure it's worth a punt...:)

It IS very exciting to see some green through the plastic!  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 08:31 »
Snowy, this is why I thought I needed to be suspicious! Thanks v much. I guess 'vigorous growth' means more than 2 leaves on each so I'll leave them a lot longer before taking the bag off and hopefully will get at least the 2 I need.

Jambop - I kinda had to go with what I could as the fig twigs came in March.  I figure it's worth a punt...:)

It IS very exciting to see some green through the plastic!  :D

I think the plastic might encourage rot though. I took more than 9 cuttings,something like 12/15, as I recall mostly I got bud break on them all,but not root growth. I sent some to somebody on here & gave the rest to friends,who are still growing them as far as I know. In fact I saw the chap I gave the last 2 to yesterday & he's just planted them out.

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 10:54 »
Don't be misled by the top growth, that bud was waiting to break, I found it took far longer for the roots to grow, patience is a virtue :lol:, I did some a few years ago & managed 9 successful ones  :lol: I potted mine around the outside of a tall pot in gritty compost & left them in a sheltered spot for a year.
Nearly add this to my post but Snows - you are right there as the box cuttings I took in the autumn a few years ago started leafing up the following spring but was surprised at what little root there was on quite a few.

Page created in 0.551 seconds with 36 queries.