What haven't you done yet ?

• 18 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
What haven't you done yet ?
« on: March 22, 2015, 08:05 »
I was on the plot yesterday and our clay based soil was a bit drier, but still cold.  A newbie plot holder arrived with a tin of seeds and asked what I thought they should sow.  I advised them to take the tin back home and leave it at least another couple of weeks.

Comparing to my diary for last year, I've barely done anything so far.  The seed spuds are still chitting and most of the seeds are still in the seed box  ::)

I planted shallots out on the plot yesterday, that had previously been got going in modules.  There are sweet pepper seedlings on the kitchen windowsill.  There are onions from seed, peas, beetroot and turnips all in modules in the greenhouse, plus some brassica plants and chard hardening off in the seedling cloche.  And that really is it so far.

I am contemplating a few more seeds for the greenhouse today, but there are cold nights to come next week, so it feels like there is no real rush  ;)

m1ckz

Re: What haven't you done yet ?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:10 »
ive got got 2 rows of eary spuds in    clotched up...radish just popping through onion an shallots in , a row of early carrots..thats it for now

Christine

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 08:13 »
Like you not a lot outside as the temperature is not sedate enough for serious sowing outside on clay. I've put some peas and broad beans in seed trays under fleece but nothing is happening and I may have to sow again. Whatever. Have no greenhouse so even less to do.

The winter onions and elephant garlic look good and there are buds on the raspberry canes/blueberry bushes. I think it will suddenly be all go up here.

The dandelions and creeping buttercups have got away with themselves at the base of the hedges where the spade won't go and are thriving. The dandelions are even flowering!!! Well they have had a generous drink of roundup so they won't look so well soon.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 08:48 »
I've just looked at my diaries for the last 2 years, in 2013 there was snow at the end of March, and in 2014 Spring was late because of all the rain.

This year is also running late, so maybe this is the proper timetable for Spring? and the few years before 2013 we were just lucky  :nowink:

Anyway, all that I've sown are a few peas growing slowly in the greenhouse. Onions and leeks are in the cold greenhouse, peppers, chillis, and peppers are in modules by the window and tomatoes have just been sown.

No peas sown yet and no potatoes planted, not much going on at all really, not even much work on the plot in the cold East wind Brrrr!  Come to think of it........................not many weeds are growing here yet, either.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:57 »
It does seem like a cold Spring this year. I've been sitting here with my coffee and googling for the last 3 hours. Too cold to venture to the plot still. Looking back on my diary the only year (of my paltry 3) that it was warm enough to plant and sow things outside now was 2012.

I haven't got anything out on the plot yet, what is there has overwintered. But my kale is bolting, which I am taking as a sign that warmer weather is on the way... :)

I have lots of things sown at home which are getting a bit big (eep), though the only things outside on the arctic balcony are my flowers and some peas. I do have a bag of spuds on the go outside in the hallway and they will get moved to the blowaway at the plot when it's reliably a couple more degrees warmer at night.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 09:30 »
Only thing I've not done which I usually have (about 3 weeks ago  ::)) is planting the shallots, which I shall be doing today after filling in the badger toilets. :nowink:

(That of course is if I exclude emptying and cleaning the greenhouse, finding somewhere 'safe' to put the dried out spent compost, finishing pruning some of the more challenging roses, weeding the front garden.... :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 10:02 »
We haven't planted anything on the Lotty except the broad bean plants. We are at the bottom of the hill so the soil is too wet and sticky.

I have got every surface in the house covered with emerging seedlings, tomatoes, cape gooseberries , peppers, parsley, tarragon, various annuals.

I have got beetroots, parsnips, calabrese, green and red cabbage, sweet peas, nasturciums, tagetes, marigolds, more broad beans and various peas, chitted parsnips and salsify in little paper pots which sit on the south facing patio during the day and in the utility/lean to at night.

We are doing more in the garden than the Lotty at the moment until the soil warms and dries up.

Springlands

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 11:06 »
I have not sown any seeds yet - we are still having far to many heavy frosts - another one last night. I am doing general tidying up and going to start digging over the veggie patches next week now that they have dried out (they are much better this year thanks to the new drainage system that OH installed in the autumn).

Might just start off a few seeds in the house just to feel that I am doing something.  :wub:

andimac

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 11:53 »
Not much happening in the garden here either yet. I planted some red onion last week but may need to redo them as there's been some light frost. Got my early spuds chitting but they're going nowhere near the ground till it warms up a good bit more. The garlic is looking ok after winter and there are some small buds on the fruit trees, with one of the pear trees going for it.
Nothing yet on the new raspberry canes put in last November. The big job at the moment though is to get the site ready for my new greenhouse due in May (eek!)

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 12:14 »
I have not sown any seeds yet - we are still having far to many heavy frosts - another one last night. I am doing general tidying up and going to start digging over the veggie patches next week now that they have dried out (they are much better this year thanks to the new drainage system that OH installed in the autumn). Might just start off a few seeds in the house just to feel that I am doing something.  :wub:
Same here - still get the occasional night frosts and I have sown in late spring before and the plants usually catch up anyway. Though they may crop later, I prefer that to losing them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 13:03 »
Lots.

ptarmigan

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 13:07 »
I've put my potatoes in and crossed fingers, mild maritime climate. Put in some optimistic seeds!

LotuSeed

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 13:59 »
I've direct sown some English peas and pruned my raspberry canes. Other than that not much is going on. The days are starting to warm up, but the nights are still dipping below freezing. I'm probably at the same pace as last year, that was a long and very cold winter so everything was late.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

Springlands

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 14:25 »
I have not sown any seeds yet - we are still having far to many heavy frosts - another one last night. I am doing general tidying up and going to start digging over the veggie patches next week now that they have dried out (they are much better this year thanks to the new drainage system that OH installed in the autumn). Might just start off a few seeds in the house just to feel that I am doing something.  :wub:
Same here - still get the occasional night frosts and I have sown in late spring before and the plants usually catch up anyway. Though they may crop later, I prefer that to losing them.

You are just across the sea from me so our conditions are fairly similar. Like you I prefer to wait for slightly warmer weather, my tomatoes were not sown until mid April last year, they caught up and I had a good crop.

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 20:57 »
I've not sown any seeds,nor cleaned the greenhouse,or taken last years bean poles down,or cleared the plot  :ohmy: :wacko: :). Still too cold most days & soil has been tooooo wet. It will all sort & I will catch up :lol:. I've got this week off so hope to tackle some of the prep :)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Slug Nematodes haven't done anything.

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 10:29
by aelf
xx
Why tomatoes haven't grown more than 1 metre ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 27, 2009, 07:28
by Faz

Page created in 0.701 seconds with 39 queries.