Moss attack

• 7 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Moss attack
« on: March 20, 2015, 23:11 »
Hi all gave my lawn its first cut this week and was surprised by the amount of moss it contains. Also noticed that my rhubarb down the plot seems to be knee deep in it too. Question is how has everyone else fared is this due to the wet weather last year or is there another reason that I am under attack by moss?

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: Moss attack
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 10:27 »
Plenty of moss in the lawns here too. It's probably no co-incidence that we have a "Black Moss Lane" nearby! I took advantage of the dry days earlier this week to give the worst patches a light raking by hand,  and then gave them their annual lawn sand dressing. On my lawns, I find this takes care of liverworts as well as moss.

Lots of rain and low sunlight in Winter, so the ground never drys out, seems to be the main cause. Also, moss doesn't survive regular wear and tear in the lawn, and in Winter we aren't out very much walking on and mowing the lawns, so they get little wear.  In this respect, I think a cylinder mower can be helpful, rather than a hover mower.

Lots of articles mention poor surface drainage, but I'm not so sure about this; my Dad's lawns get just as much moss as mine at this time of year, and they live on the coast where the soil is basically just grey sand, that gets very dry indeed in Summer. So I'm not sure how he could improve the surface drainage any further.

G&R

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 12:18 »
My lawn gets quite a bit of moss but tends to be where some trees provide quite a bit of shade. One year I spiked it by hand with a fork because I thought it was due to compaction on our silty soil but was surprised by how easily the fork went in. Now I don't worry too much about it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 12:31 »
Wet, shaded lawns will get moss because it loves shaded, moist conditions.

Dry, sandy, well-drained lawns like mine also get it, although it does die back in summer. My theory is that sandy soils tend to be low in nutrients so the grass doesn't grow well enough to out-grow the moss.
My lawn only needs mowing about 4 or five times a year unless I keep feeding it, which tends to get a bit expensive, so I just console myself with the thought that at least it's nice and springy to walk on!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 16:50 »
I like moss to walk on, too. It does not grow as tall as grass so does not need mowing so much.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2015, 13:37 »
Thanks all. Looks like I just have nuke it with killer then rake it out on lawn.
Not sure about what to do on plot will,see whether it annoys rhubarb and maybe just remove by hand

Cheers HH

fatcat1955

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2015, 15:43 »
Moss on a lawn is a sure sign that you need to apply lime to your soil.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 16:33 »
What about in the fruit beds? Never had it before but this year there was lots... I have raked it all out for now

xx
moss

Started by Fairy Plotmother on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 01, 2014, 17:12
by fatcat1955
xx
Get rid of moss

Started by amiman on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 19:57
by jezza
xx
Moss

Started by visionwf on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 23:35
by viettaclark
xx
Moss

Started by rich24uk on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 08:10
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 36 queries.