Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
Blight
« on: March 17, 2015, 18:42 »
Hi,

Best spray to help keep blight away?

Thanks
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Salmo

Re: Blight
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 08:06 »
I have never seen good results from spraying to protect from blight. Usually by the time blight arrives the potatoes are well baulked up. Best to cut the tops to the ground when blight is obvious on the leaves.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 08:11 »
Preventative from late May/early June is to spray every ten days or so with something such as Bayers Fruit & Vegetable Disease Control or Vitax Bordeaux Mixture.

The key is to begin before there are any symptoms and keep it up.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 08:24 »
I have never seen good results from spraying to protect from blight. Usually by the time blight arrives the potatoes are well baulked up. Best to cut the tops to the ground when blight is obvious on the leaves.

I have.

As sunshineband says, it's preventative. This is one of the reasons we promote the blight maps so much. It helps you see it coming. It's no good doing it as it arrives.

When needed I've used Diathane - which has been replaced by Bayers Fruit & Vegetable Disease Control. My outdoor tomatoes have stood there cropping, whilst others have been dumping them in the skip.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 08:49 »
Stick to early varieties perhaps?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 09:22 »
The question doesn't actually mention potatoes! It was Salmo that brought them into the equation. I'm trying to cover all bases. You'd be hard pushed to crop tomatoes outside before the blight season.

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 09:34 »
Quite right DD. I grow a few toms outside. Get away with it most seasons with gardeners delight. I really do not like spraying the fruit and then eating. What is the harvest interval for Bayers mix?

The other approach is to look for blight resistant varieties, both potatoes and toms. I get the impression that we will see more resistant toms in the next few years.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 09:41 »
The question doesn't actually mention potatoes!

Good point ... although :) :

Is it more likely that Blight will infect Tomatoes from Spuds, than direct? So if no (late) spuds less chance of Tomatoes getting infected?

I have no idea on that point, just curious. Luckily in this part of the world blight is not rife, and my Tomatoes are all in the greenhouse so somewhat more protected than outdoor ones. 

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 09:43 »
I get the impression that we will see more resistant toms in the next few years.
Sutton's Crimson Crush looks promising ... although we'll all know better after this season's growers report back :)

http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Vegetable+Plants/All+Vegetable+Plants/Tomato+Plants+-+Crimson+Crush_242971.htm

BabbyAnn

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 10:44 »

Is it more likely that Blight will infect Tomatoes from Spuds, than direct? So if no (late) spuds less chance of Tomatoes getting infected?

I have no idea on that point, just curious.

in my experience when blight strikes, outdoor tomatoes seemed to be infected long before seeing any signs on the potatoes  :( 

There was a salad potato sold last year called Novella which had an interesting strategy against blight - when leaves were infected they died back ... the idea being that blight requires living tissue to thrive.  It doesn't appear to be available this year which is a shame because it was actually a nice potato.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 11:35 »
I am trying aspirin this year, 300mg per gallon of water, from what I have read the tomato reacts to the aspirin and thinks its under attack which toughens the leaves and stems and (might) lessen the blight spores from entering the tomatoes tissues, fingers crossed Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 12:05 »
in my experience when blight strikes, outdoor tomatoes seemed to be infected long before seeing any signs on the potatoes  :( 

Useful to know, thanks.  Best of luck for the forthcoming year :)

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2015, 20:02 »
We have been very lucky with potato blight where we are. But the tomato's usually are always devastated, last year everyone's got wiped out over one weekend. I always spray my spuds, must think about doing the same for the tomato's this year.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2015, 08:45 »
Quite right DD. I grow a few toms outside. Get away with it most seasons with gardeners delight. I really do not like spraying the fruit and then eating. What is the harvest interval for Bayers mix?

The other approach is to look for blight resistant varieties, both potatoes and toms. I get the impression that we will see more resistant toms in the next few years.

I avoid the flowers and fruit and only spray the leaves ---both sided if I can reach.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 14:24 »
I am trying aspirin this year, 300mg per gallon of water, from what I have read the tomato reacts to the aspirin and thinks its under attack which toughens the leaves and stems and (might) lessen the blight spores from entering the tomatoes tissues, fingers crossed Dave

We do this Dave!

There was a lot of correspondence about this last year, and I rushed out and bought several packets. There was no blight round here though!

We also use Bordeaux on the allotment for toms, the spuds are earlies, so we don't bother with them!

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
xx
Blight

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2012, 20:46
by sunshineband
xx
Blight

Started by Diggerpete on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 09:39
by chicken soup
xx
Blight

Started by Diggerpete on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 18, 2009, 22:01
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.436 seconds with 37 queries.