Cucumber confused

• 19 Replies

colin120

• Experienced Member
Cucumber confused
« on: March 11, 2015, 18:47 »
I have three packets of cucumber, one packet doesn't  have a sowing or harvesting dates packet says outdoor cucumber Akito.
second packet days sow Feb to May indoors but don't say when to plant out, Modern Veg Cucumber Louisa.

Third packet sow Feb plant out July Cucumber Telepathy, if you sow in Feb by July when you plant out the plant will be massive ??.

what ones would be the best to use and when to sow and plant out.

Cheers Colin

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Cucumber confused
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 18:59 »
Is your intention to grow them indoors or out (or both!).
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 19:00 »
Cucumbers confuse me Colin - (a bit of a worry for the Seed Circle this year. maybe ;-) .)
Anyhow, in general if you are planning to grow them outside you *probably* want to wait till mid-late spring to plant sow them - if they are going into heated greenhouse them maybe now.
(Having said that, I planted sowed couple of seeds last weekend in my unheated GH - well, you never know your lucj)
I'm not a cucumber expert, so the next person along might be give you a better answer.

Pip pip,
Balders

Edited to bow down before DD's superior use of language to describe 'what should be'  ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 19:13 by Baldy »

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 19:07 »
Is your intention to grow them indoors or out (or both!).
I was going to plant them in pots then transfer outside and plant them in front of the framework I have built for them to grow up.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 19:32 »
For outdoors then, Akito would probably be your best. They look to be a ridge type cucumber.

What ever you choose, you cannot risk putting them out until all danger of frost is passed.

For me that means sowing my outdoor seed in mid April, with a view to planting them out in mid May, although a few years ago that cunning plan went awry with June frosts!

oldgrunge

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 20:41 »
I concur with DD. I sow my outdoor cucumbers in mid April, on kitchen window sill. Plan out mid may, when frost threat has passed.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 07:43 »
Cucumbers confuse me Colin - (a bit of a worry for the Seed Circle this year. maybe ;-) .)
Anyhow, in general if you are planning to grow them outside you *probably* want to wait till mid-late spring to plant sow them - if they are going into heated greenhouse them maybe now.
(Having said that, I planted sowed couple of seeds last weekend in my unheated GH - well, you never know your lucj)
I'm not a cucumber expert, so the next person along might be give you a better answer.

Pip pip,
Balders

Edited to bow down before DD's superior use of language to describe 'what should be'  ;)

Not just DD - I've been trying to remind people for about a year via my signature!

It's nothing to do with being pedantic: 'should I plant my cucumbers now?' becomes a completely different question if you actually mean 'sow'.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 08:10 »
Mine was in red, though!  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 08:16 »
Mine's in blue (all of a sudden!)  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2015, 08:43 »
 :lol:

Well red, blue or whatever colour, I've hardly sown, planted or plonked a thing so far.  The sweet peppers are up and going to be potted on soon.  The tomato and cuke seeds are still firmly in their packets and the spuds, they are a chitting, but they won't be seeing the soil for a while yet.

I was digging the plot last weekend and the soil is cold and wet.  No rush this year  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2015, 08:58 »
Nor for me & certainly not this week as I've got the lurgy :(
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2015, 08:59 »

Well red, blue or whatever colour, I've hardly sown, planted or plonked a thing so far.  The sweet peppers are up and going to be potted on soon.  The tomato and cuke seeds are still firmly in their packets and the spuds, they are a chitting, but they won't be seeing the soil for a while yet.

I was digging the plot last weekend and the soil is cold and wet.  No rush this year  ;)

Leeks, onions and sweet peas sown a few days ago, but that's it (no seed potato plonking for the foreseeable future either.)

(Plenty of colours left to choose from if you want to join the crusade New Shoot!  :lol:)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2015, 09:19 »
I'm on the plots at the moment. Nice and dry and sunny. No sowing or planting though. Too early for anything other than the onions I've already put in. Bit of maintenance and it's going to chuck it down tomorrow!

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 09:52 »
I don't sow cukes till mid-April, and then they are kept indoors for a while before hardening off and planting outside around mid-May.

Snoop

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 14:17 »

Thanks for posting that. I've been reading everyone's diaries and some threads and have been fighting a rising panic that I haven't started anything.

clip
confused cucumber

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 26, 2013, 08:47
by vanessa.xx
xx
Bit confused

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 17:43
by aelf
xx
Confused!

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 19:54
by Trillium
xx
Confused

Started by oakridge on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 06, 2016, 09:27
by oakridge

Page created in 0.758 seconds with 30 queries.