Potatoes

• 11 Replies

colin120

• Experienced Member
Potatoes
« on: March 06, 2015, 19:58 »
Just planted my potatoes at the allotment today,  just in case we get anymore frost I have put them in deeper, didn't use the soil to fill back up trenches as too heavy and very clayey,  that back end of my allotment hasn't been dug up for years so soil is very bad.

Filled up with compost then topped up with horse manure, also put a  fleece on top hopefully they will be ok,

I planted four pots of peas three seeds in each pot about two weeks ago and only one has come up they are wilko early onwards.

Was told to day at the allotment to soak the seeds overnight before planted and they should be ok, IS this correct ??

Cheers Colin

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 20:02 »
You are taking one very big risk with those spuds!

Regarding the peas, I never soak them. I just throw them straight into the ground. You will need a lot more than 12 pea plants for a half decent crop. At the spacing I use, 12 plants would make up 1 foot of row.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 22:02 »
That's pretty early for spuds Colin, are you going to be able to keep them protected against frost in April? I'd have thought the soil was a wee bit chilly for them too. I don't tend to put mine out till the end of March/beginning of April.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 22:03 by surbie100 »

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 22:26 »
That's pretty early for spuds Colin, are you going to be able to keep them protected against frost in April?
If I have to I will build a wooden box around them with a glass top, have loads of wood and glass, but they are nice and deep wrapped around some nice compost so should be fine, plus they are in the corner at the back of the allotment.

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 22:50 »
Filled up with compost then topped up with horse manure

thought manure is not for growing spuds? they are just too strong for root veg
Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 07:03 »
Potatoes are not a root vegetable. They are a tuber. Manure is good for spuds.

The problem with manure for root veg is not so much its strength, but the tendency for the root to fork when it hits a lump of it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 07:05 by DD. »

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 08:09 »
Nothing wrong with planting potatoes now and you are in SE2. Essential if you want really early new potatoes. If the soil is cold they will grow slowly until the soil warms. You will just have to be ready for any frost when they come up. Frost will not get them under the soil.

If you soak peas only do it for a short time. Too long and they take in too much water and the skins burst.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 08:57 »
I have put them in deeper ...

I'd be interested to know how deep (roughly :) ) and, if you remember, could you update the thread when they break through the ground? Always helpful to advice folk in subsequent years, particularly as you are in an urban island where you will have more mild temperatures than I could ever dream off in East Anglia!

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 10:13 »
If you get a spell of frost, you could always temporarily cover the pot bed with some black plastic to keep the frost off the soil and also to help warm it up.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

digga666

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 15:03 »
If manure was no good for spuds how come they grow from peelings with a vengeance out of the muck heap?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 15:56 »
Manure does not = compost!

beesrus

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 16:42 »
I haven't got a lot of time in the next two weeks, the weather is dull, oh so dull, so today and tomorrow are big on my plot, including the potatoes... a week earlier than is normal for me down here.  My soil was also perfect for digging today, given the last few dry days, so an absolute must. I shall be planting Foremost, Swift, red Duke of York, Charlotte and Desiree. The weather forecast looks reasonable with only the odd few hours of proper rain in the next 10 days... which is good for the early weeks of potatoes.
As said above, the black plastic dpm I have been using to warm up the soil will be to one side like a cricket square cover, ready to drape over the top for any frosts when the spuds break surface in late April.
My first sowing of outside soaked peas will also be going in tomorrow where the soil has been covered. It's nice to use the vacant ground asap, and allows a second crop of something later in the year. The peas are more of a risk than the potatoes, but overall, everything should turn out fine.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 16:56 by beesrus »

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
Potatoes

Started by Mary Mary on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2009, 15:15
by Lewjam

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 36 queries.