Do you know your onions?

• 9 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Do you know your onions?
« on: March 02, 2015, 17:57 »
I've never grown main crop onions before, but want to this year. I would appreciate any advice and wisdom on this. What type are best.... I would like maybe red onions, are seed or young plants better, when to plant, soil conditions, etc etc.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 18:23 by heygrow »

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: Do you know your onions?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 19:25 »
The main website advice on veg growing gives you a good idea of what to do http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/index.php
Anne

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 21:22 »
There's also this thread http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=117739.0 which might give a few clues as to what others are growing.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 22:35 »
Thank you for the links. Looks like I better get sowing if I want to grow from seed.
Anyone had good success with growing from sets?

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 23:21 »
Thank you for the links. Looks like I better get sowing if I want to grow from seed.
Anyone had good success with growing from sets?

First time with onions I would grow sets. Easy and reliable, just stick them in the ground about the end of March and watch them grow.

If you like faffing about then go for seed. The end product is probably, only probably, better and you get a wider choice of varieties. You should sow the seed in the next couple of weeks to get onions of a decent size.

trunk monkey

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 14:24 »
Definitely grow from sets for your first attempt; onions from seed are a bit tricky. "Red baron" and "Kamal" are good red varieties. Sturon and Santero are good buff onions. Fertilise with fish blood and bone or "gromore". If you like a strong onion fertilise with sulphate of ammonia; the sulphur sharpens the flavour.
Good growing and good eating.
Trunky

Ivor Backache

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 16:41 »
I also agree about sets. I found a mixed bag of red/yellow/white onions at Wilkinsons, but my banker is Hercules (set) which did not get neck rot and I still have 3  in storage. Red onions in my experience tend to bolt  more and don't keep as well as yellows. This year I am trying Supasweet (Dulcinea) which T&M say is the first sweet and mild bulb for the British gardeners. They are now germinating nicely.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2015, 17:17 »
I  forgot to mention the Japanese varieties. A recent innovation but with a lot more choice.  Buy the seed/set in Autumn and grow over the winter. Should give you an early crop whilst your main crop is ripening. They don't keep as well, but you haven't grown them for that. I buy the sets and plant them in long trough-like pots  and keep them in a cold greenhouse. I am transplanting them this w/e.
I get more satisfaction from growing a good  crop of onions than anything else.

heygrow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 18:30 »
Thanks for all the advice. I've ordered some red baron. They won't send them out until mid March though. I think they are heat treated for extra productivity.

trunk monkey

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 21:41 »
Heat treatment reduces the tendency to bolt.

Page created in 0.823 seconds with 37 queries.