EWWWW Any idea what on earth this is ?

• 24 Replies

barley

Re: EWWWW Any idea what on earth this is ?
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 21:14 »
just a chance somebody may know how to stop this poor little girl keep bursting and bleeding  :(

I found her collapsed today with blood every where again  :(

its burst open twice in the last week or so - I am so worried she will bleed to death

I have  bandaged her again today - I've left it on tonight too as she has been trying to peck at her chest

Do you think it would hurt to keep it bandaged for a few weeks to give it chance to heal - I would change the dressing daily , she doesn't seem to mind it on

she has a really protruding breast bone - I think that's half the problem

its a shame as she's a really happy little thing but it knocks her for 6 if she looses to much blood

here's a pic of her last week when I  actually saw it burst and bandaged her to stop the bleeding - she was fine as she suffered no blood loss then

Sassy

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 08:58 »
Given that it looks as though she may have got it from perching as she has a prominent breastbone, are you still allowing her to perch? :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

barley

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 13:22 »
No Sassy

I make a point of putting her in the nest box for that reason

it just needs time to heal but she keeps pecking her self and setting it off again

I was worried the bandage might make her to hot as its getting nicer weather but I think that's the lesser of two evils at the moment

she's had it on for 3 days now , managed to get it off once  ::) so I've made a mark 2 bandage that goes over the wings and under the body

Helenaj

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2015, 16:02 »
Hi Barley

is there any mileage in getting a chicken saddle - the type they use for hens that suffer cock damage and put it on her front instead of on her back? It will look a little odd but make it impossible for her to remove it and it will offer extra padding for her breast bone.

Beekissed

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2015, 04:58 »
Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but those lesions look just like melanoma on a human.  Could be she has skin cancer and that's why they won't fully heal and keep bursting and bleeding?  I've never seen it on a chicken myself, but I've seen it a plenty on a human and it looks a lot like that when advanced. 

barley

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 07:18 »
Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but those lesions look just like melanoma on a human.  Could be she has skin cancer and that's why they won't fully heal and keep bursting and bleeding?  I've never seen it on a chicken myself, but I've seen it a plenty on a human and it looks a lot like that when advanced.

I did wonder that BK  :( but as long as its not bleeding she is as normal as ever , so if that is the case I will let her live until I think she's suffering and then call it a day

barley

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 07:19 »
Hi Barley

is there any mileage in getting a chicken saddle - the type they use for hens that suffer cock damage and put it on her front instead of on her back? It will look a little odd but make it impossible for her to remove it and it will offer extra padding for her breast bone.

will look at these Helena , thanks

barley

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 18:09 »
Well I managed to make a pad that my poor little girl could wear 24/7 out of an old bandage and pad that I sowed together and could fasten with a safety pin on her back where she could not reach 

she really hasn't minded it being on and she has even dust bathed with it on  :D

I take it off daily to check she has nothing caught under it and I must say after a week or so it is looking an awful lot better

the scab has a nice crust on it and is nice and dry and the swelling seems to have gone down , so fingers crossed it was just a blood blister and not a tumour

Sassy

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 09:36 »
That's brilliant well done :D

Helenaj

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2015, 18:32 »
That looks so much better  :) - fingers crossed that it was just an infected wound.

Keep us posted

xx
Do I Need An Earth Box

Started by peter rooster on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 27, 2010, 16:45
by Flowerpower136
xx
how on earth

Started by storme37 on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 13:29
by dawnie77
xx
diatomaceous earth

Started by xxfluffeexx on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2010, 16:30
by xxfluffeexx
xx
diatomous earth

Started by westie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2008, 21:35
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 36 queries.