Water Meters - Anybody regret it?

• 31 Replies

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Re: Water Meters - Anybody regret it?
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 13:06 »
Yes, GA, I was quite specific about asking for the negativity  of having a water meter -if I'm honest because I was hoping not to have one fitted. But I think the argument for having one, both as cost-exercise and as a moral viewpoint/action is now unbeatable.

I'm still worried that the water companies will go the same way as most others - that is to fleece the customer. (Even though I'm quite sure this is happening now.)

250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 13:22 »
Well, as you know, they are all trying to fleece us, and I'm not sure how much your area charge for water.  We come under Anglian water, and I can't complain about the £11 I am paying per month at the moment.

I will say also, that when they do the annual review, they are just as good about putting the DD down £1 a month as they are putting it up! LOL

And it DOES make you think twice about using water willy nilly outside!  I've got 3 water butts AND an IBC tank!  but its still not enough!   :lol:

You have to think about what they charge for drainage too.  We are lucky to have a septic tank, which doesn't get emptied very often, but I know what my family are charged for drainage!   :ohmy: :ohmy:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 13:24 by GrannieAnnie »

Kevin67

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2015, 13:31 »
£550-ish for a year - based on the rateable value of my council house

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2015, 13:35 »
Here in Kent we have to pay one water board for the supply of water and another for waste water, so 2 lots of standing charges to add to the bills  :(

So for a single person (I shower rather than take a bath, have a low water use washing machine etc etc)
and still have to pay £11.70 to one and £9.00 to the other, each month   :mad:

Kevin67

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2015, 13:37 »
I wonder if one of the two is a wholly owned subsidiary of the other?

Getting hit for two standing charges smacks of Bankers - who normally own the highest levels of large companies.

ryetek

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 13:39 »
If it helps you at all Kevin we pay around £55 to £65 per quarter for our water and we are on mains drainage which is included in that price. There are two of us in the house and we don't particulary skimp on water usage. Although we have water butts in the garden I always end up using the mains water in summer as the water butts tend to empty fairly quickly. As yet we've never had a bill over £65.

Hope that helps.

Kevin67

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 13:45 »
Is that with Yorkshire Water, ryedale?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 15:17 »
I read our water meter each week (and log it in a spreadsheet). My thinking is that I would like to know, sooner rather than later, if there is a leak our-side of the meter (our cost for any water leaked).

Also, when they send an estimated bill if it is low I get them to revise it - theory being that next bill might include a price rise, so I would wind up paying the higher price for water used before the cut-off date. I suppose I could argue that toss when the bill came in with the price rise, as it shows the date and estimated reading.

If they estimate me high that's fine I pay it, then if the price goes up that's their problem - they've pre-sold me water cheaply.  In practice their estimates are "close enough", and they read the meter every other time (twice a year I suppose that is)

Kevin67

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 15:22 »
Thank you, Kristen. Good advice, there.  ;)

ryetek

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 16:03 »
Is that with Yorkshire Water, ryedale?

Yes. That's right.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 17:37 »
I can't comment on regretting a water meter as I've never had the choice, ended up with what ever the house I move into was fitted with!

However I have lived in houses both with water meters and without!  I think I prefer not to have a water meter, as I knew the amough that was coming out each month/6 months.

Maybe it was because I never lived in a house long enough for it to balance out but my monthly payments fluctuated every 6 months or so!

I have to say though I'm not frugal with water - I always spend too long in the shower (possibly avoiding going to work).  When I was by hand I like to rince everything in nice hot water before putting it on the draining board (which means I leave the hot tap running when washing up).  My washing machine is out of the ark so I doubt anywhere near water efficient. Also I never noticed that my toilet was leaking all over Christmas (now fixed...).  I fear my water bill arriving more than my gas bill!

Hannah  :wacko:

Kevin67

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 18:12 »
Yes, thanks, Hannah.  :)

You see, I'm a bit of a clean freak, and while I don't think I'm excessive with water, I suppose I'm less careful with it because I pay a whole whack for it.

Plus we have kids' parties in the garden in summer - and that is a lot of water. At a guess, it's a weeks' worth in half a day.

I think my over-riding worry is that my water utility is known for being incredibly aggressive and strong-arm customers and that once I get a meter, they will decide somehow, some way, that I'm keeping it.

LotuSeed

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 18:19 »
Our water bill during the summer months is significantly higher because I have a decent sized garden at home. Even after using mulch and catching rainwater to use on my beds.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

samjess

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 19:36 »
We are Yorkshire Water and have had meters in last our 3 houses. Wouldn't go back. Have a septic tank but pay £12 a month with 3 permanent adults, 2 greenhouses and veg garden (do have 4 water butts) and holiday visits from other student son. Had a free repair a couple of weeks ago for a leak we found in the supply pipe between the street and our meter. Never had any complaints with them or their service. :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 00:10 »
This may sound stupid, but if you don't have a meter, how are you charged for water consumption? Is it a flat rate monthly thing? We have a meter and are billed every three months. I think it's read electronically or something to that effect, by the utility company.  Mind you, I'm in the States so things may be completely different.

That's correct LotuSeed. Lot's of older properties in the UK don't have water meters. There is a flat rate charge called water rates. I'm not sure how often water rates are paid because we do have a water meter and pay every 3 months.
We pay a fortune down here in the far south west of Britain.
I've been considering a meter for a while.

My friend had a meter fitted, the day before she went away for a fortnight - the fact that there was water being measured = a leak around the meter fitting which she was able to prove by being away at the time ;)

xx
Water butt

Started by Jeanieblue on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 14:26
by Jeanieblue
xx
Water Butts

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post June 10, 2016, 08:46
by jaydig
xx
Water butts

Started by Wildeone on Frugal Living

16 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 08:25
by shaun
xx
Water containers

Started by Frog on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 15:47
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 37 queries.